Sign in with
Your question

A8M2N-LA problems with PCIe

Last response: in Motherboards
October 18, 2008 5:35:45 AM

I bought a debranded computer with an Asus A8M2N-LA mobo installed. It has an nVidia chipset with onboard nVidia video, and I was told that it might be a problem installing an ATI video card in it via PCI-Express without there being a conflict. Sure enough, I can't even get the computer to see the card. I tested it with another nVidia card and it worked just fine. Am I completely screwed here?

More about : a8m2n problems pcie

October 18, 2008 5:54:21 AM

Disable the on-board graphics in the BIOS.
February 4, 2010 2:05:35 PM

I had this same issue last night when trying to get my dad's a1712n to work with a new PCI-E card.

The red channel on the onboard nVidia only works intermittently, so we ran out and bought a VisionTek HD 4350. Three attempts to pull and reinstall the card in the PCI-E slot after it was not detected, every time, it's not detected automatically by Vista, manually searching for new hardware detects nothing. All I can say is the fan spins up on the VisionTek, so at the very least, it is getting power.

ghmage, while your response might be what works in most cases....the BIOS on this machine does not allow the onboard graphics to be enabled or disabled.....the only setting that is available is that the user can select the primary graphics adapter from three options: onboard, PCI, or PCI-E. Apparently that must simply be like boot order for the OS, it seems to stutter a bit on boot up, looking for a PCI-E card, but having found none, reverts to onboard.

As instructed in the VisionTek installation guide, the first thing that was done (and again, every time after the system was rebooted and came up with only onboard graphics active) was disable the onboard nVidia adapter in Device Manager. The desktop resolution then drops from the 1280x1024 to 800x600 (I think) and the systray icon for the nVidia panel disappears, so to me, Vista is definitely responding at that point as it should.

In every case, during the reboot process, there is a lag with no HD activity, and if I move the video cable from the VisionTek connector over to the onboard once the hard drive activity restarts, there is a signal available, even though the BIOS remains set for the primary adapter to be PCI-E. And every time it reboots, it returns to onboard video at 1280x 1024.

All of the symptoms point to a dead VisionTek card....but I have read on a number of forums that people have issues with this MB not detecting a PCI-E card installation.

!