Your question

HDD error, really need help!

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 1, 2009 10:04:25 PM

Hey all, I have an old IDE HDD (a Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB to be exact) that I've been using as a Slave for a while now. Anyway the HDD stopped appearing in Windows and does not appear in device manager after moving from XP to 7 (it also doesn't seem to appear in Linux or XP either anymore).

When I boot up with this HDD connected it takes a little while longer to load up and comes to an error screen and just states "Slave Disk Error press F1 to continue" or something along those lines. I decided to check the Bios to see if it was appearing in there and it is! In fact it shows the HDD and all of the correct details to go with it including, name, brand, size etc.

The HDD itself also seems to be operating, you can feel and hear the disk spinning inside smoothly, no clicking (maybe at odd times). It seems to me as if there is no physical damage to this otherwise I'm assuming it wouldn't appear in the Bios or not with the correct details at least?

So what I'm asking is for some methods on what I could do to try and at least recover the data from it. The data on the HDD isn't really worth anything so I don't fancy sending it off to a company to have it professionally sorted, it is however worth my free time. So any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : hdd error

December 1, 2009 10:07:39 PM

I have now trid the HDD in another Windows 7 computer and whenever I connect it I have 2 new devices show up. One being Coreprocessor, and the other being an unknown device. There isn't a great deal I seem to be able to do with either of them though.
a c 464 G Storage
December 2, 2009 12:25:59 PM

Go to the Maxtor / Seagate website and download their free diagnostic utilities. Try to get the version that you use on your machine to burn a bootable CD with the software. Then you boot from that CD in your optical drive, and it installs a mini-DOS you can use to run the diagnostics with no Windows loading from any disk.

Run all the tests on your Maxtor and see what they say. That will give you an idea what sort of errors it has, and what fixing can be done, or whether it is just too unreliable to continue using.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 3, 2009 3:25:38 PM

Paperdoc said:
Go to the Maxtor / Seagate website and download their free diagnostic utilities. Try to get the version that you use on your machine to burn a bootable CD with the software. Then you boot from that CD in your optical drive, and it installs a mini-DOS you can use to run the diagnostics with no Windows loading from any disk.

Run all the tests on your Maxtor and see what they say. That will give you an idea what sort of errors it has, and what fixing can be done, or whether it is just too unreliable to continue using.

Hiya Paperdoc, thanks for the reply I'll be sure to give it a go and see what happens. Much appreciated.
December 3, 2009 3:54:21 PM

I downloaded and tried out 'SeaTools for DOS' but it says it couldn't find any hard drives. Does this pretty much mean the end? I just can't get my head around why it displays in the BIOs with no problem, but anything else cannot detect/see it.
December 3, 2009 8:10:58 PM

After having tried the SeaTools software, with no luck I had someone bring an IDE to USB cable. After trying this it detects the hard drive and lists it in Device Manager but does not show up in MY computer, I don't think the issue is appyling a Drive letter either.

As I said before the hard drive does seem to be picked up in certain circumstances but is in now way accessable. ANy more help would really be appreciated, thanks.