How bottleneck

cimpercee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
My 3dmark score is 9531 for my visiontek 4850, my cpu is 5000+ x2 athlon brisbane @ stock and have cheap mobo that doesn't allow overclocking.

What is the setting you run for 3dmark06? is it optimal in the filtering? And if ever i buy athlon 6000+ x2, how high would the score go up?

^ Good answer.
Did you build the rig to play games or to break records on the benchmark charts? I would say since you are using an AMD CPU/GPU setup, you have built a budget gaming rig. Do your games run well (remember..... "well" for a budget system?) I would say that they probably do run just fine, and if they do, be happy!

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
as the others have said, dont bother with 3dmark...I recently built my rig (which seems to be similar to yours) and it plays all my games great on my 19" monitor....recently, I unexpectedly got a 24" monitor...at first I was worried that my brand new budget rig wouldnt be able to handle 1920x1200, but so far, I can even play crysis on high settings, let alone any other game...bottom line, as long as your games run the way you want them to run, you should have nothing to worry about...

cimpercee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
ok. but for about how many FPS would I increase, currently COD4 69 FPS sometimes goes to 50 depending on the map and sometimes 80+.

maybe athlon 6000+ x2

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
well idk exactly how much it would increase but I would guess it wouldn't be something radical...currently an avg of 69fps seems really nice to me :)

Averaging 60+ frames per second and you want more? You indeed are much more worried about benchmarks than actual gameplay. If you went to 120 frames per second you would not "see" any difference. Anything over 30-35 is enough for very smooth and enjoyable play.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Your CPU is the bottleneck. A friend had a gateway with an AMD 64 x2 5000 and an ATI 3870. He was getting over 100FPS on COD4. He couldnt overclock his bios, but he did OC using the OC software that came with the Gateway. He had his at 2.8G. Find you a good software OC app (nTune, Easy Tune, etc.) and try it. Dont go crazy, because soft OCs don't manage your voltage very well and it could fry your hardware. OC in small bits and test with prime 95 and watch your temps and voltages.

Later my buddy did go with a AMD 6000 and now he is over 120FPS consistantly in COD4. He soft OC'd it to 3.2G.

With the 4850(which is much better than my buddy's 3870) you should be hitting 100FPS in COD4.

There are options for you. Carefully try a soft OC, OC in small bits and test. If that doesnt get you over 80fps, get a 6000. Since you cant OC your bios, you dont need a black edition. Just get the regular 6000.

What are the rest of your specs; ram, etc. RAM may help.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
COD4: go to your console and enter; /cg_maxfps 999 . COD4 locks your fps at 90. There are a lot of other COD4 tweaks. Google them, the infinity ward forum will have some.

Optimal settings should be fine for your rig. but set the following like this:

how big is our monitor. Hopefully you can run at 1400 or 1600. 1200 is ok for a 19/20".

Turn off vertical sinc.

AA = 4x, the 4850 should be able to easily handle that.

AF = put the slider half way to start

set refresh rate at 72/75, or the highest your monitor will support.

ATI CCC:

Use custom settings. The fixed quality setting will slow your fps down.

AA = app controlled

AF = app controlled

Adaptive AA = medium or standard Dont remember the exact name i'm at work.

With one card you do not need CAT AI enabled. Disable CAT AI. You really only need that with crossfire.

once i get home i will look at CCC and add anything i forgot.

cimpercee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
got 17inch wide playing at 1440x900. refresh rate set 60. does it have something to do with FPS? sorry for being noob.

got via CHipset here, i don't know any soft OC with this mobo. I would want to. I know human eye can't catch up, just want to have a full use of my 4850 so every cent I spent with this is worth especially with upcoming games. that's why im asking. got updated drivers as well. I don't plan OC, just want to get the enough processor.
When will 65nm 6000+ come out?

+1

If you're already getting 50fps as the minimum, there's really no reason for more. Sometimes I think people forget that the whole point of the fast cards and such is to make the game experience enjoyable, not to post high benchmark numbers. If you get 50fps, sit back, relax, and enjoy the game, don't worry about how to get it to 100+.

cimpercee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
yeah, im just worried if 4850 will atleast stay for a year and a half performing that good with my processor. i want to get deneb and don't want to spend anything by now.

will maybe a year, depending on the price and when it goes out.

E3210

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Your average movie plays a ten frames a second . To avoid random stuttering and lag 30 peak fps is nice, so that your minimum doesn't drop below 15 or so. If you want to optimize use of your card try some AA, and go one level above your monitors native resolution and check it out. The picture quality tends to be better at native but you might like it there anyway.

Anything above 60fps is pointless, because most monitors only have a 60hz refresh rate. This means it can only display about sixty frames a second anyway, even if your computer can push out more then that. Even at that speed your brain is the bottleneck. Can't see that fast anyway. So quit your fcuking sniveling.

This opinion is uniformed BS.