Extremely low temps any good ?

cyber_jockey

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I always wondered if extreme cooling can have negative effect on your pc when the temperature are to low. I have two 120mm fans sucking infront of my box and the back two 80 mm blowing from the back. My hard drives on startup are around 19 degrees and my processor dips in to the single digits both cores. Both south bridge and north bridge are between 10 and 28 degrees. This is no mistake on the cpu I used speed fan everest and double check my bios. I am not complaining the system is stable but what about the long run is it any good. Btw i have a E2140 on stock

Single digits celsius?

How cold is your room, because unless your room's ambient temperature is under 10c (50F), your temp monitor is incorrectly reading the sensors.

cyber_jockey

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Indeed we're still in the winter phase in south africa and the morning temps outside start around 4C my fingers is stiff typing this message. So theres nothing to worry about ? I know silicon can take the beating what about my hard drives ? I have a 160 gig samsung that start at 19 and max temp are around 25 my other hard drive is a external one a 300 gig seagate which is normal from 25 to 42.

cyber_jockey

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Indeed we're still in the winter phase in south africa and the morning temps outside start around 4C my fingers is stiff typing this message. So theres nothing to worry about ? I know silicon can take the beating what about my hard drives ? I have a 160 gig samsung that start at 19 and max temp are around 25 my other hard drive is a external one a 300 gig seagate which is normal from 25 to 42.

Nah it's fine. The only problems I can see are condensation or the Hard Drive parts being a little more brittle. Really though that's only an issue if your moving it around right when you start it up, which you shouldn't be doing anyway
:D

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
^^ Yeah don't ever move HDD's around when they're on (including laptops), except for SSD's which have no moving parts. I know a few people who've corrupted files doing this....

Obi-Wan-Shinobi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Single digits temps are easy. My 6750 was in single digits due to an antec 900, zalman cps9700 and speedstep. I've no doubt a much lower clocked C2D would be in single digits.

cyber_jockey

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Thanx for the heads up mega. So my hard drive will be fine on the long run since thats the only component that u cant replace. Thanks for the quick feedback guys this why toms are the best

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
as for the rest of your system no worries. your ambient temp is low so component temperatures are low. Only time you have to worry about condensation is when your system temperatures are lower then ambient, well below the due point,

but you should check the specs of your hard drive, quick Google told me a samsung 5400 rpm operating specs were 5-55 C. but i image that is an old drive... just something to think about...

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
if you say your cpu temps dip into the single digits, then is your room slightly above freezing? the core temps can't possibly be lower than the ambient temperature.

cyber_jockey

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Nik im just repeating what i saw read the start of the forum you'll see some guy moddin his pc to go lower then 10 degrees as for hard drives condensation isn't realy a problem i opened the side panel to eliminate that risk factor

cyber_jockey

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Mad hacker i have the the 7200 rpm samsung and it always stayed between 5-55 degrees limit and is that true ? Cooler hardware last longer what makes harddrives different