Windows xp software update(s) are available for installation error: This install

Saurabh Agarwal

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello,

I was getting green icon for "windows xp software update(s) are available for installation" in system tray. When tried to install updates. I got below error message:
"This installation failed to start because another update installation is in progress Please try again later."

And i was not able to install the updates.

Please let me know if anybody having reason and cure for above problem.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh Agarwal

some computers won't run the updates, they run better without them.
you can uninstall the microsoft updates, and use third party security program instead.
you can install microsoft tweak UI for XP, to turn off the pop up message balloons that are telling you to update.

Saurabh Agarwal

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
But before one incident, my system use to do all updates properly.

Few days back, one update was under install when i power off my system (Hard boot).
I did hard boot because one process got hang at that time but after that i'm facing this problem in updates.

I'm looking for if i can correct this problem by removing some lock/log or restart some service.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh Agarwal

Saurabh Agarwal

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
That i know but that would be my last option.
My feeling is, there must be some other solution as well.
By removing some lock file/ log file or restart of some service can solve my problem but i don't know the service or log/lock file name.

BigAlsPal

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I am using XP pro w/all udates, now IE8. I could not even goto the windows update site as I was getting the "INTERNET EXPLORER has closed to help PROTECT your computer" message, whenever I tried to update XP pro. WIERD.

After many installs and deletions the registry gets full of info and many items are loaded into memory that are no longer needed BUT they use memory addresses that IE may want to also use. I am not gifted enough to edit my registry.
A poster said disable the memory protection feature in IE. I don't know if this is good advise but I did it and IE8 works great now.

open IE - goto TOOLS - internet options - advanced tab - scroll down to security heading - UNCHECK enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks . I then rebooted windows. This is only similar to your problem so I don'tknow if it will help.

AGAIN I do not know if this is good advise but I can now download stuff in IE8 w/o a browser freeze. If you have good virus protection this may also help you. Its easy to RECHECK and enable this feature so you could even do it on a case by case session. GOOD LUCK BigAl