Sign in with
Your question

Gigabit LAN is only 13mbps, way too slow.

Last response: in Networking
February 20, 2009 11:57:00 AM

Hey folks,

I have a Linksys WRT310N router/switch (Gigabit).
The two NICs involved are: Linksys gigabit & Intel gigabit (Pro 1000 GT).
Cables are CAT5e.
OS's are Vista 64, Ubuntu and XP (ie, tried using all three to test).
Each OS reports its connected at 1.0gbps ethernet on the LAN.

But when I copy files, it's about 13.7MB per second, which is only barely faster than 10/100mbps LAN speeds. I should be able to at least get three times that speed with the overhead. It's not the speed of my drives, they all sustain 70+ MB per second transfer rates. So the gigabit ethernet here is just acting really slow. I have no services other than what's naturally running at installation of these OS's, no funky business. Just basic networking here using gigabit ready equipment. Yet it's slow as Christmas. I scoured google and apparently a lot of people out there have this issue. Yet there are others who's gigabit LAN works great and they can transfer at 40~60MB per second on it.

So looking for advice, what to try, check, test, etc. So far, this is disappointing.

Very best,
February 20, 2009 3:44:00 PM

Cat5e is good enough for Gig at short to moderate lengths. Cat6 is really only needed for longer runs where data integrity and speed are really important.
Related resources
February 20, 2009 10:27:47 PM

Heya,

Yes. CAT5e is enough for gigabit. Especially just 5ft and 10ft cables. More than adequate. There's no need for CAT6 at this level and length.

I've now put both machines on XP32bit. Same disappointing speed. It's like neither computer believes that it's 1.0gbps even though each one's LAN connection states plainly it's connected at that speed.

Very best,
March 21, 2010 4:05:28 PM

just came across this while searching, and in case anyone would fine this workaround useful:

if you set your NICs manually to 100fd, you can probably get your speeds to around ~80mbps
!