Backing up computer - internal or external Hard drive

saturn711

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I have a 1tb internal hard drive in my computer with about 100gb used. I've been using external Hard drives to image my computer but I was thinking an internal would be more convenvient. Also, if I go with an internal hard drive for backups, what's the best brand and size for the money?

Thanks for all info and comments!

Solution

The point of a backup is to have the backup if something goes awry.

Using external drives is the best course.
If your computer goes belly up, you have to remove the internal drive, rather a big nuisance.

A power glitch is more likely to toast an internal drive.

External drives may be removed off-site for safe-keeping.

One should use more than 1 external drive, never connectng more than 1 at a time.

If...

kaikow

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

The point of a backup is to have the backup if something goes awry.

Using external drives is the best course.
If your computer goes belly up, you have to remove the internal drive, rather a big nuisance.

A power glitch is more likely to toast an internal drive.

External drives may be removed off-site for safe-keeping.

One should use more than 1 external drive, never connectng more than 1 at a time.

If needed, one can move the external drive to another compuer to retrieve files.

And, if you need to recover, say,a partition, this is most easily done ny booting with the backup "rescue" CD and accessing the archives in the external drives.

Solution
+1 For using an external backup drive.
By keeping it external you are keeping it as far removed as possible from any disasters that may happen to the main system.
It is also a good idea to only turn it on when backing up your data, leaving it somewhat more protected from power surges and viruses.