dell 2408WFP, anything else more "natural"?

Belis

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
hi all

Few days ago I've bought a new dell system XPS + 24" dell 2408WFP, this one used in multy display with an old dell 20" I already had. I did select the 2408WFP because could read very good reviews about it.
After few days playing with color, bright and contrast I've realised that this is not the monitor for me, it's far too bright and it hurts my eyes after few minutes in front of it, I spend many hours in front of my pc and its not for gaming which I guess this dell 24" is very good in. I'm so looking for a 24" with less bright and more natural colours which would treat better my eyes standing in front of it several hours per day, I've been reading about HP, NEC or BenQ, but still dont have a clear idea about which monitor could be ideal for me replacing the dell one.

thanks for your help
Fabio

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Well, what are you using your monitor for? Office work? Gaming (it seems no)? Color work?

Different strokes for different...uses.

Belis

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
thanks,

yep i've been playing with all nvidia and monitor settings, colors, bright and contrast (cannot find the dynamic contrast though..), but no luck ... however reading other forums speaking about the same problem with this bright monitor I've found a configuration that seems suit much better my eyes:

R: 87
G: 89
B: 94
Bright: 20
Contrast: 40

actually i've set the bright even lower, at 5, ...anyway will keep looking other monitors with "softer" colors and less bright.

thanks guys

Belis

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008

yes, your absolutely right and I've been quite naive just cheking some reviews like cnet or similar that rated this monitor as one of the best 24-inch in the market at the moment.

it's basically for work, need run several programs at the same time and a multy display configuration, very important be able to read and write several hours per day without hurt my eyes; im pleased with my new dell xps but as you know struggling with the monitor chosen.

cheers

xxjudgmentxx

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

BenQ FP241W

it's incredible and i'll leave it at that

Belis

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
thanks, will definitively consider this BenQ if cannot find solution for my dell, might try to know a bit more about the glare filter as well.

cheers

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
So I take it you don't care about good reactivity, you don't care all that much about photorealistic colors, you want acceptable brightness, and hopefully a little of everything else + great cost...

I would suggest reading through AnandTech forum's excellent LCD thread. It has a summary of what to look for and a bunch of options. Funny enough, your panel is one of the recommendations. It's tough to get away from high brightness nowadays; manufacturers try to advertise the highest contrast ratio possible, and often do it by elevating brightness.

One other thing, if you had access to proper tools and software (my guess is you do not), you could try to calibrate your monitor for a specific white point. That will bring the brightness done. However, if you don't have the tools, it's a substantial investment.

Belis

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008

yes well, im pretty mug in this kind of things, it was set on OFF already, however setting it ON it reduced a lot the annoying bright, I guess i can find now the optimal configuration playing a bit more with all this settings, .... it seems i was giving up too early :pfff:

thanks!

xxjudgmentxx

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

newegg carries the BenQ T241W which has the same AU Optronics LCD panel.

That's is wrong.

The BenQ FP241W used an 8-bit P-MVA panel made by AUO.

The BenQ T241W is clearly using an inferior 6-bit TN panel made by AUO. Both price and specs points to this monitor using a TN panel.

Kari

Splendid

oh, so it's the other way around.
well close enough I guess. :D

Belis

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008

yes, the dynamic contrast ON looked like reducing the contrast and the feeling was good initially but it keep changing configuration opening pages with different colors and light, so i've turned it off again, im back to the configuration i've found in another forum that work pretty well even though still not ideal.
I might even buy the spyder3pro to calibrate better the color in the near future, but it's not so urgent anymore, at least now the monitor doesnt hurt my eyes.

cheers

Belis

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
hi again,

nada, after some days of use I'm affraid I'm still not satisfied with this monitor :pfff:
it improved a lot after be calibrated with spyder3pro, it's probably brilliant to play but not to work, the red colour keep saturated, which is not a big deal to me actually, but black text over gray background for instance, looks not clear at all, like shining.
Tried any calibration possible, i've seen similar problems in other forums, even after calibrate, time to give up.

Looking for a good 24" panel to work now, more natural colours less bright and clear text over any background; possibly no more than £600 but can stretch to have the ideal monitor and work in confort. Will start reading reviews about the BenQFP241W

cheers
fab

G

Hi, can I ask how you calibrated your display? ie. What white point did you choose? What was your target gamma?

Also what OS are you running? I find text (and graphics) much clearer on OS X and Vista in comparison to XP.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Ill trade your dell for a Oki 22" i bought :) it is dim enough to work for hours. Even comes with warranty !!!

Hi, can I ask how you calibrated your display? ie. What white point did you choose? What was your target gamma?

Also what OS are you running? I find text (and graphics) much clearer on OS X and Vista in comparison to XP.
That's probably because OSX and Vista use text-smoothing while XP does not by default (though you can enable it in XP if you want).