Sign in with
Your question

I cannot access my shared folder

Last response: in Networking
February 20, 2009 6:13:03 PM

I don't have any more hair to pull out.
I have a file server running Server 2003 SP2. I created a folder, shared it with the correct permissions and everything was working fine for months.

Then recently I tried accessing the share and I received this error:

\\ ip address
The specified network name is no longer available.

I get this error whether I use the ip address or the server name.

This is why it is brain racking. I can ping the server and remote into it with absolutely no problems.

I changed the NIC, but that didn't help as I receive the same error.

If anyone can solve my problem or at least tell me what is wrong, I would greatly appreciate the help or advice.

Thanks.

More about : access shared folder

March 3, 2009 7:03:51 AM

Can anyone help me?
Anonymous
March 3, 2009 9:56:40 AM

Firewall?

Grumpy
Related resources
March 3, 2009 4:24:59 PM

Thanks for trying to help me.
No, there is no firewall. My research says something to do with the tcp.sys file or something like that and reinstalling does not fix the problem.
March 3, 2009 5:20:36 PM

I found the solution to my problem.
March 13, 2009 8:31:58 AM

I am mistaken. The solution worked for 3 minutes and then failed as before.

Can anyone help?
March 13, 2009 12:19:35 PM

had any updates recently?

have you tried recreating the share permissions from scratch? (ie delete all shares and permissions, restart machine, redo all shares)
March 16, 2009 5:04:24 AM

I did. I even formatted the hard drive, reinstalled server 2003 and reshared the folder.

It worked for the first 10 minutes then refused to allow any connections after that.
March 16, 2009 3:27:46 PM

are you linking directly to the folder? sometimes that helps

as in \\ipaddress\myfolder

not really a solution but might work.
March 16, 2009 7:13:13 PM

Thanks for trying. I tried that. I tried \\ipaddress, \\servername,
\\ipaddress\sharename, \\servername\sharename, nothing works.

What is bothering me is that it works when I format, reinstall and reshare the folder for the first 10 minutes. But after that, it fails to connect.

When the share fails, I can still remote into the server and also ping the server.

This is very annoying.
March 18, 2009 5:17:44 PM

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but these are in the event viewer.

The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B6BB1F25-AC56-4063-BCD9-4BB57FFB68AB}.
EventID: 2504

The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetbiosSmb.
EventID: 2504

I can ping and remote into the server without fail or hesitation, but I cannot access my shared folder.

Any help is appreciated. I googled the errors but to no avail. Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks.
June 9, 2009 2:34:29 AM

soundefx said:
Thanks for trying. I tried that. I tried \\ipaddress, \\servername,
\\ipaddress\sharename, \\servername\sharename, nothing works.

What is bothering me is that it works when I format, reinstall and reshare the folder for the first 10 minutes. But after that, it fails to connect.

When the share fails, I can still remote into the server and also ping the server.

This is very annoying.

Hi Soundefx,

Do you solve your problem already? I have the same problem but I cant also fix it.. If you solve it l aready please tell me where/what is the cause/ solution of this problem.. tnx!

August
!