Sign in with
Your question

Not sure what to do, hopefully someone will know...

Last response: in Components
September 19, 2008 3:45:12 AM

I am running XP and have a Asus A7n8x-E motherboard and a Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z5 sound card. I am just using a desktop stereo system for the speakers and just using the 2 speakers. I don't need anything fancy, just something simple.

My problem is that I get an irritating crackling sound from the speakers. All other function of the stereo sound fine (cd/radio), it's just the pc that is running thru aux that sounds bad. I have also unplugged from the pc and plugged into a mp3 player and it sounds ok as well. So I think I have it narrowed down to the sound card. I might also add that this set up worked fine for quite awhile before I started experiencing problems and for the life of me I can't think of anything I did to cause this to happen.

Recently I have had hard drive problems and ended up with new drives and reinstalled windows. I updated all drivers and was hoping it would also take care of my sound problem - it did not.

First of all anybody have anything to try?

Secondly, would I be better off just picking up some cheap card and replacing the one i have? (i am not a pc expert so i'd need to keep this as simple as possible)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!!

More about : question

September 19, 2008 4:00:12 AM

The audigy 2 ZS is one of my favorite cards I've used, but it does sound like it's developed an issue. Time to get rid of it.

Doesn't your motherboard provide onboard audio? For a 2-speaker setup, that should do just fine.
September 19, 2008 4:22:43 AM

Maybe your Audigy is protesting the fact that you are using it on a two speaker setup :p  . Anyway you probably are just picking up interfearence on the CD audio cables. Mute CD-Audio, TAD In, and Auxiliary one at a time to see which one is causing the problem. If that's it then open your case and check to see if those cables are too close to any drives or touching the wires of your ATX power connector since they can pick up electronic noise from wires and components.
Related resources
September 19, 2008 4:24:15 AM

lol, i have no idea. I have the users manual in front of me and it says

South Bridge Chipset- blah blah blah has an integrated APU (Audio Processing Unit) for Dolby Digital encoding (optional)

So I guess that means I do. If that is the best option how do I go about it? Can I just bypass the Audigy with some kind of setting, or will it be more difficult than that?

I have never dealt with sound cards so not sure how to go about any of this???

September 19, 2008 4:38:51 AM

Well i bought that Logitech kick ass speaker system (Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker) with great hopes BUT it turns out that the Audigy sound card isn't very compatible with it. It's been a couple of years ago and I can't remember the details but I think it had to do with spid outputs (i think they were) and the fact it was raw vs processed. I remember spending far too much time messing with it and online researching it. In the end i just said screw it and hooked into my desk stereo system. I know use the Z-5500 in the same room connected to my cable and they sound awesome.

Megamanx how do i do all of that. From the control panel?
September 19, 2008 4:43:13 AM

If it makes any difference it seems i get alot more "crackling" out of my left speaker than the right.
September 19, 2008 5:18:47 AM

I had the same issue with my Audigy 2 ZS. It just got old and started cracking and popping for no good reason. Took it out of the system and used onboard sound since then with no issues. You can't really tell a difference in sound quality anyways. Anyone that says different is smoking crack.
September 19, 2008 5:34:13 AM

yeah stuff dies over time and I think it's at it's end I say go to newegg.com get a newer sound card or use the onboard that's what I'm doing right now until I can salvage a old creative sound card out of a 8 year old dell. The sound died on the dell so I went to best buy or somthing to replace it a couple years back. I would hazard to guess it is a audigy 2 value or something and I'm still using some crap 8 year old speakers from that dell.

Good ol' pentium 3 days

LOL
September 19, 2008 7:00:00 AM

Yeah it sounds like the audigy is showing it's age. I'd give the on board a try in the interest of saving money, and to see if the sound quality is acceptable to your standards. If not may i recommend the SB Xtreme Gamer. It's quite cheap and once you've set it up right it sound pretty good. There are better ones, but it'd be tough to find one noticeably better without costing an arm and a leg, maybe a left nut too :) 

jkflipflop98 said:
I had the same issue with my Audigy 2 ZS. It just got old and started cracking and popping for no good reason. Took it out of the system and used onboard sound since then with no issues. You can't really tell a difference in sound quality anyways. Anyone that says different is smoking crack.

Correction, the majority of people can't tell the difference. However those that listen to high quality audio, like myself, can tell the difference in most cases. I have heard some pretty damned good on board audio, it's come a long way.
September 19, 2008 2:47:40 PM

Agreed - onboard audio has come a long, long way. I work for a sound productions and recording company, so I know a thing or two about how a sound should sound. (lol)

The z-5500 should have been easily compatible with the audigy 2 ZS. I had them a while back.
September 19, 2008 5:40:39 PM

If you wiggle the plug or turn it while plugged into the computer, does that make the crackling worse. I know you plugged the speakers into your mp3 player and they worked, but I am wondering if there is dirt or dust in the jack on the sound card. If wiggling or turning the jack makes the problem worse, perhaps there is dirt in the jack. Of course this could also mean that the connections are going bad on the board itself in which case it will need replaced. I just want to exhaust all options before you have to open up your computer to replace parts.
September 22, 2008 12:03:53 AM

Ok, here i am again, I messed with all the connections and no go, can't get it to quit crackling, so I removed. Or so i think I did...

I physically removed the card and then unhooked the few connections on the side of the board. All of those are included in a larger cable which looks to go to my power button??? I couldn't get to those so they are still in the pc, just laying there. There are 6 of them and are labled tbp+, tpb-, tpa+, tpa-, vp, vg. I also have uninstalled all the creative software on my pc

lol, now i have no sound at all. when i try to play something I get a "no sound card found" type of message. I have never used the sound on my motherboard so I don't really have a clue how to set it up. Again my motherboard is a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Thanks for the help guys, I am clueless on this one!

September 22, 2008 12:29:20 AM

I tired looking at the bios (first time ever) and enabled something that sounded like it was what I was looking for. I now have sound, excuse me while I go weep in a corner.
!