zenthor

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I have 4x Corsair XMS2 DHX memory that is horribly unstable on my Vista 64 system. Motherboard is Asus P5N72-T Premium. Video is BFG 9800 gx2, cpu = Intel Q9550 2.83ghz
Basically system will lock up at least once every 15 minutes. Sometimes, I cant even get it to Post.
I ran memory checker that is on the Umbuntu CD (one of the few I know of that can see all 8 gig) and it ran without error for about 25 hours.
I tried default bios settings and also making sure it was at 2.1v 800Mhz fsb.
Could this MB just not be compatible with this memory? It has no problem with the cheap stuff I had sitting around. I put 2gig of old OCX memory in it...and can not get it to crash no matter how much I torture it.
Suggestions?
Thanks

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Well, the deal is this, im not sure about your mobo specifically, but quit notorously some mobo's don't like 4 sticks. The best be would be to d/l memtest, install it on a cd as a boot cd, and run it prior to running windows. If the ram has memory errors, it will show them. If it doesn't show any errors i would definitely think it to be just random mobo incompatibility (since you said you already checked voltage). Either hope for a bios update, or return the ram.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Based on your memory test, what makes you think this is a memory issue?

List your COMPLETE system specifications and list ALL BIOS settings you have made for RAM, CPU, and voltages. Also, list ALL the information from the stickers on your modules.