Ordered my rig, NOW WHAT! . . . help i love you

licid24

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
I just ordered my rig from newegg,except the GPU's. I'm gunna wait a month or so till the new 4850's are out and riva tuner suports them.
ANAYWAY.
What I understand the basics but this is my first build. Any one got any tps or a step by step guide?
My build

Antec 900
700w modular PSU 4-12v rails at 18amps
WD 640g HD
Samsung 22x DVD/CD burner
Gigabyte x48-ds4
Zalman 9700
MX-2
OCZ 2x2g Reapers

soon to add 2 4850's

QUESTIONS!

1. After I get every thing together I boot up load OS, load drivers. I should be good to go right. Im going to run some benchmarks to make sure every thing is stable and get a 3d06 score at stock.
2. Do I have to wait like a week for the comp to "burn in" before I can OC?
- Will a OC like this work. I read the whole OC guide but I just wana make sure of the steps I need.

I just go into the bios and up the FSB to 425 and multi to 8 set ram 1:1 @ 2.2v. What will I need to start the VCC at? 1.4? I figured just start it high then work my way down. Also I need to make sure to keep the pcie slot at 100 right.

Gigabyte has a easytune6 if I use that do I need to change any rthing in the bios? Timings of the ram to 4 4 4 12 and 2.2v maybe?

LASTLY what is the hottest I want my q6600 at for a 24/7 5yrs comp?

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!! you guys rock my life

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
1. After I get every thing together I boot up load OS, load drivers. I should be good to go right. Im going to run some benchmarks to make sure every thing is stable and get a 3d06 score at stock.

Yes. Benchmarks are probably unecessary, but it can't hurt.

2. Do I have to wait like a week for the comp to "burn in" before I can OC?
- Will a OC like this work. I read the whole OC guide but I just wana make sure of the steps I need.

I don't believe you need to wait. You should be good to go.

You don't HAVE TO burn in before overclocking, but I'd do it anyway. If something goes wrong, it's going to be harder to figure out if it's because of the overclocking or not.

It might be better to get a single HD 4870 instead of two HD 4850. This way you can add another HD 4870 later when it's cheaper. As far as performance goes, you'd get less performance in games that support CF well but more in the others.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
the only "burning in" process that you should take notice, or that i know exist for that matter, is for the thermal grease to settle in. When you first apply it, it needs to fill in all the microscopic holes on the CPU surface and the heatsink which results in better heat conductivity, and that'll take around a week-1.5 week or so. that is when people notice the temperatures of the CPU is 3-6 degrees cooler from when they first applied it. but even with that, it shouldn't matter for OC-ing, just informing you :)

When you get your samsung drive in, update its firmware to the patched one by codeking over at club.cdfreaks

Also it is always recommended to OC in BIOS, rather than through software.

licid24

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
THANKS alot guys for you helps!

get micosoft updates, DL the samsung patch ( whats this for?), OC in bios.

I was thinking of getting a 4870 BUT i kinda wana get this build done and not worry about adding later. I know its weird. And I was worried about some games not supporting crossfire tho. This is for warhammer so... but from all the benchmarks ive seen, even games that dont support CF very well were still as good as a single 4870 FPS wise, know what i mean.

OVER CLOCKING ... so from what i wrote am I going to be able to overclock or am I totaly on the wrong track?

Go into bios set fsb 425 multi x8 VCC 1.4? ram 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v
Any thing else I need to do? If it doesnt boot what could be the reasons? thanks guys I CANT WAIT to get my stuff and do my first build!!!

I think you mean "cure time"? And not all thermal compounds these days require a cure time (such as Arctic Cooling MX2)

A burn in (or burn in period) long predates the personal computer era and pretty much covered all electronic components.
"infant mortality" is a term used to describe electronic components tendency to sometimes fail early in it's life cycle.
A stress test to identify any early failures in hardware (before any return polices or warranties expire), or before a system is shipped to the customer, or is placed in service for any important function is the traditional reason for a PC burn in period.

1. A 3d06 benchmark score at stock is a good idea. It will show you how well the overclock improves your gaming performance. It should help show if the CPU or video card overclocking (or maybe both) gives you the best over all result. Also play your games at stock as well, get an idea of the power of the system both at stock and OC'd.
[:wr2:2] Don't think you NEED to OC to get outstanding performance. Often that's not true. In any case the benchmarks before and after your OCs will help you decide how far to push the OCs.

2. Read the OC guides again. Make sure you understand them. I'm pretty sure they tell you to start the OC'ing in smaller steps then jumping right in with a 200Mhz FSB bump (266Mhz to 425Mhz) just starting out. The guides also cover the temps you can expect to see.

ojomow

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
1: Is that a question o_O idk
2: you should let your PC components to run like couple days it better.
if you have os problem install tell me i install 6new OS in my pre-built PC;D

OVER CLOCKING ... so from what i wrote am I going to be able to overclock or am I totaly on the wrong track?

Go into bios set fsb 425 multi x8 VCC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_power_supply_pin 1.4? ram 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v
Any thing else I need to do? If it doesnt boot what could be the reasons? thanks guys I CANT WAIT to get my stuff and do my first build!!
1. List the VID of your CPU (Use RealTemp and look under VID). It can help determine your final OC (Just ask Lupi and hell tell you all about VID and OCing). Start at 400FSB(1600Mhz) first.

2. If OCing is bad the board usually will revert to stock automatically, if it doesn't remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds and the re-insert battery.

3. Download the following programs and burn them to CD or put them in a flash drive.

Download the following:
CPUZ
GPUZ
RealTemp (I don't recommend you using CoreTemp as it is inaccurate)
SpeedFan
UBCD (you will need to burn this image to a CD)

Run Memtest86+ for 4hrs on stock settings via UBCD, just to make sure that RAM is good before OCing.

4. Read the sickys on the forums esp. the C2D Temp guide.

licid24

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Thanks,

I got most all of those programs ready to go.

If I use easytuner 6 from gigabyte would that be ok? its a lazy mans OC bios

and how do I run memtest, is it a boot CD i have to make or somthing??

every thing comes in tommarow or thursday latest GO UPS GO!