Sign in with
Your question

Help with AGP Card and Info on Brand Names

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2008 2:38:31 AM

I'm currently replacing an AGP 4x Card in a friends PC. I'd like to keep the price around $40 for the card. It must have a VGA port on it. An extra DVI port would be nice to have, but is not a must. He's basically using the graphics card for watching movies and maybe some basic gaming like poker and online gambling/slots. The best I've found so far is:

HIS Hightech H955H256-1TOAN Radeon 9550 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If anyone has any other suggestion's on cards and prices, please let me know (suggestion's. prices and links are welcome).

Also, how good are the following brand names:

PNY

SAPPHIRE

ASUS

MSI

Diamond Multimedia

XFX

BFG Technologies

Powercolor

BIOSTAR

Zogis

VisionTek

EVGA

I've always trusted BFG, XFX and EVGA. How well do the brand names above rank. Please list any experiences you've had with these brand names. I often wondered about SAPPHIRE and MSI as well as any of the others listed. Pro's and Con's of each are welcome.

Thanks for any help and/or story submitted.

August 12, 2008 3:03:43 AM

Watch out for cards that overheat. Those are old cards but the heatsink is fanless and theres alot of complaints on overheating.
Related resources
August 14, 2008 5:58:53 AM

Thanks the help. Can anyone give any general info on the brand names? Whats good/bad and if their trustworthy to use/worth buying?

Thanks

Jacob
August 14, 2008 8:21:10 AM

i got a palit 7600GS sonic AGP 8x and it overclocked 50%. idk if its just a freak accident or something lol but wow... highly recommended. i also got a FX5200 with no fan on it and its....BAD
!