Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Recover copied clone partition

Last response: in Storage
December 2, 2009 9:38:19 PM

i copied my xp c drive partition (using partition magic 8) to a backup drive, (sata 230gb) to use for recovery.
my plan for recovery is to:
slave the original drive...
add a 3rd hard drive with xp and partition magic on it, boot from this 3rd drive, open partition magic, and delete the c partition in the original drive that went south.
then copy the identical sized recovery partition from the backup drive, back to the original drive, putting it in the begining of the unallocated space.
then disconnect the added 3rd drive, with the xp and partition magic only on it, and reconnect the original drive, and boot.
now i would have the original drive, with the c partition copied back to it from the backup, and the 2nd drive, (backup drive) visible, if all goes ok and the system boots.
question:
will the system boot?...
what would keep it from booting, since the partition is an exact copy of the original partition?
what would i have to do to get it to boot.

#the copy of the original partition is going right back on the exact original hard drive...not a different hard drive...total copied partition size is around 38gb.

thanks much....
simdog.

Best solution

a c 174 G Storage
December 3, 2009 12:49:28 PM

As a simpler suggestion:
Just disconnect the power or signal cable from the cloned drive.
If you ever need to boot from it, just reconnect the cables, and disconnect the cable from the failed drive.
a b G Storage
December 3, 2009 12:51:58 PM

Use Acronis True Image or similar to clone the drive/partition to another one.
Imaging is what you want to do.

m
l
Related resources
a c 357 G Storage
December 3, 2009 1:20:03 PM

Acronis True Image does this job well, I know, but I assume Partition Magic ought to be able to, also, as long as it really does copy EVERYTHING as a true cloning tool should. BUT there are two details you need to pay attention to, both when you make your original clone to the 230 GB (really - not 320?) and when you make the second clone back to the original HDD unit. In each case the Primary Partition being established for the clone MUST be made BOOTABLE. Unless the MBR of each HDD is marked this way as it is established and a few appropriate files are loaded onto it in the correct locations, you cannot boot from it.

I'm a little intrigued why you are trying to do this. If the original HDD has some flaws you are trying to get away from, can you fix them before re-using the HDD unit? Do you suspect badly disorganized files that can't be fixed with De-fragmentation? Or, maybe you're just trying to change the size of the boot Partition, which probably is best done as you plan, with appropriate attention to manually setting the Partition sizes.
m
l
December 3, 2009 4:58:57 PM

first of all thanks for the response:
ok...
there is nothing wrong with the main master c hard drive now.
i have so many programs installed, i want to be set up for any type of failure, so i can just bring in the clone and be right back to where i was before the incident.
copying the c partition from the main hard drive, to a backup drive, and then being able to delete the main c partition and copy the clone right back from the backup drive onto the main drive, (in case of failure) seems like a logical idea, since the main drive is the exact physical unit the clone came from, i would guess the boot config/bios stuff/mbr etc would match.
and the partition would just boot...
but i have doubts as that i am not so schmart at mbr/bootconfigs/netldrs etc etc....
i know about the recovery console in xp and repair commands/rebuild etc, but i want this to be an easy task when it arises.
imaging software? acronis, norton etc etc...free etc...
reviews state: when it works, it is great, but if it doesn't you're system is dead. so it looks much like a gamble going that route more than a sure thing, if there really is such a thing as for sure in this case.
BUT:
trying everything i can try, i purchased acronis home 2010 (cd rom) last night, and it has a great gui interface, and works great for copying the partitions to a backup drive....
the restore part is what i am concerned with most.
and when i do restore, it is a toss up whether it will actually work well or not.
i am only doing a 38 gb partition, and only 20 of that is being used, but the file types and the structure of the data, is a cross between 'music production' programs, and a large part of 'flight simulator' files, such as many purchased aircraft that have pretty sophisitacted file systems etc.
i was thinking that partition magic, and just moving a partition over and back between drives, would be a simpler, and possibly more accurate situation, verses the imaging process.
but i was definitely concerned with the boot scenario....
even thought if it didn't boot, just do the recovery console, or do a repair install with the xp disc....but trying to keep it simple, but accurate, with no failures in the process...
thanks much.
simdog.
m
l
December 3, 2009 5:07:12 PM

reply to geofelt:
that is what i intended to do originally, just clone the partition to a backup drive, disconnect it, and save the drive somewhere, and when in trouble, just disconnect the failed drive and reconnect the backup drive....
i have been reading some about mbr, and table information (manufacture etc) within the drives themselves, and if the drive info doesn't match the original drive that went south, the boot may not work etc.
not sure if i have this correct yet, as that i am new to boot configs etc.
all the linux guys seem to have that stuff down don't they?
thanks for the response.
m
l
a c 174 G Storage
December 3, 2009 8:53:35 PM

simdog said:
reply to geofelt:
that is what i intended to do originally, just clone the partition to a backup drive, disconnect it, and save the drive somewhere, and when in trouble, just disconnect the failed drive and reconnect the backup drive....
i have been reading some about mbr, and table information (manufacture etc) within the drives themselves, and if the drive info doesn't match the original drive that went south, the boot may not work etc.
not sure if i have this correct yet, as that i am new to boot configs etc.
all the linux guys seem to have that stuff down don't they?
thanks for the response.

I have used acronis to clone a hard drive to a ssd, then disconnect the hard drive, and the new ssd boots perfectly. I think it is when you have multiple pertitions on a single hard drive that you need some means to select which partition to boot from.
m
l
December 3, 2009 9:42:26 PM

thanks geofelt cor getting back with me...
not sure what a 'ssd' is....scuzy drive, social security drive?, not sure...
but it sounds like you just cloned to another drive, and then connected it as a master drive and it booted up!...
while i've got you on the line, i have just one last question:
if i wanted to use my backup drive of 238 gb or so for a c main drive, instead of an ide for the main c drive.., if i split the drive into 2 partitions, and load xp on one partition, will it boot.
i am asking because of the 127gb drive size bootable or not by ms rules etc...
and i have the mb disc with the sata drivers on it.
thanks much...
sd.
m
l
a c 174 G Storage
December 3, 2009 10:30:10 PM

simdog said:
thanks geofelt cor getting back with me...
not sure what a 'ssd' is....scuzy drive, social security drive?, not sure...
but it sounds like you just cloned to another drive, and then connected it as a master drive and it booted up!...
while i've got you on the line, i have just one last question:
if i wanted to use my backup drive of 238 gb or so for a c main drive, instead of an ide for the main c drive.., if i split the drive into 2 partitions, and load xp on one partition, will it boot.
i am asking because of the 127gb drive size bootable or not by ms rules etc...
and i have the mb disc with the sata drivers on it.
thanks much...
sd.

SSD= Solid State Disk.

I am no expert on this, but I think if your OS is on the first partition, you are ok. If the partition is formatted as NTSF it can be any size.
m
l
December 4, 2009 12:18:28 AM

many thanks...
m
l
!