Seagate needs better programmers

kaikow

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
My desktop system has ALL SCSI internal drives (1 WD, 1 Seagate), 2 Quantum, and 3 external USB drives (2 Maxtor and 1 Seagate).

Seatools Enterprise works with the SCSI drives.

Seatools for Windows has never worked with the USB drives because Seagate INTEMTIONALLY deigned the critter to wokr only with mobo USB connectors. My USB devices go thru an Adaptec USB card.

Naively hoping, today, I downloaded the latest version of Seatools for Windows. Alas, it still has the same issue. But it's gotten worse, instead of just issuing a message that 0 devices were found, the prog issues a .NET error message that any Freshman programmer should know how to intercept and replace with a user friendly message, and terminate the program cleanly.

I guess that I coul try using a USB 1.1 port for diagnostics, but that would be waye too sloooow!

The good news, I had just purchased a WD drive, so I downloaded WD's Data Lifeguard for Windows. Works fine on my desktop, even tests both SCSI and non-SCSI. For a time WD had dropped support for sCSI in their diagnostics, so this makes this ole curmudgeon quite happy.

Hmmm, "happy curmudgeon". is that an oxymoron?