Fried my Mobo I think :( :( :( Help plz

strghtupG

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Ok hey first if you guys know about my new computer problems thats irrelevant right now because its shipping in.

Anyways I have a hp pavilion 513n and I was going to switch the ram on it. I take out the ram than I relize the ram I have is way to advanced for it so I put the ram back. Turns out I fried the motherboard AND I NEED THE HARD DRIVE DATA...

I than took my dell computer, switched hard drives and the dell screen came up than NOTHING but a blinking line in the top left.

I tried dual HDD'ing in my dell but it said failed to boot.

Please anyone is there any way I can get a seagate u6 Model ST360020A 60GB HDD to work in another computer?

(also Im about to get a brand new $1,200 computer that can hold 6 HDD's but will I be able to get the data from that HDD?)

Thanks everyone

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you are running Windows (or ust about any other X86 OS, for that matter) it is not a good idea to use another machine's boot drive to boot another machine. This could very well ruin the OS install as the OS is expecting to see one hardware configuration and load the appropriate drivers and instead it sees a completely different hardware environment.

Also, unless you know exactly how to connect this drive to your hardware, you should avoid connecting the drive internally. Instead, purchase an external USB case and follow the instructions to install the hard drive that contains the data you want to recover. Boot your recovery machine, and once the desktop is fully loaded, connect the external drive and you should be able to view and copy the contents of the drive.

When you connected the hard drive in "dual HDD," I'm guessing you connected both drives to the same IDE chain. If this was a stock Dell configuration, then the Dell drive was probably set to Cable Select, and the HP drive you were adding in was probably set to Master. This would have created an issue on the Dell computer as it did not know which device was the master and which was the slave. Hence, your machine was unable to find a proper boot drive. If you were to go in and set one drive as master, the other as slave, you might have better luck booting your machine.

I still recommend the external drive. You can then use the external drive after you have copied the data as a backup drive. And backups are always good.