athlon 64 X2?

I saw this processor on newegg and it seemed pretty good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Since im sort of a newbie.. my concern is.... i wont be using 64bit windows at all. Does it run on 64bit better? or will that processor run just as good on 32bit
17 answers Last reply
More about athlon
  1. Thats a great CPU choice. It would be a bit better in 64bit but it will run 32bit just as fast for what you need.

I say go with it as long as your mobo supports it.
  2. I saw this combo deal over at newegg for a case with 500 watt power supply and a
    Brisbane Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition for $129.99.It's not as fast as the Athlon 64 X2 6000+ at stock speeds but it does have an unlocked multiplier and can be easily overclocked.You might be interested in this deal.Here it is.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024&cm_sp=SubCat_ProcessorsDesktops-_-AMDBannersFRCPU-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fAMD%2fBanners%2fFRCPU%2f478x88.jpg
  3. AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz 65W: $87
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103234

Should easily clock to 3.2GHz with a slight bump in voltage - ""8"" memory divisor means your RAMs will be running at 800MHz.
  4. Wisecracker said:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz 65W: $87
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103234

Should easily clock to 3.2GHz with a slight bump in voltage - ""8"" memory divisor means your RAMs will be running at 800MHz.

Useful comment since it has half the cache and saves a whole 5 USD (wow) vs the Athlon 6000+ on NewEgg... OP has said he is a newbie (= no overclocking).

Bob
  5. woodyfly said:

Since im sort of a newbie.. my concern is.... i wont be using 64bit windows at all. Does it run on 64bit better? or will that processor run just as good on 32bit

(Good CPU choice if you want to go AMD :sol: )

64-bit is only for folks who plan on running >4Gb RAM. It offers bugger all performance advantages in speed terms (in fact since most software is still 32-bit it will run slightly slower in a Windows "Syswow" compatibilty layer).

I run 64-bit Windows XP BTW (as I have 4Gb RAM installed). It is a pain in the butt for compability with certain things (firewall software, DVD players, certain games, etc.) I work around these but it is an inconvenience at times. Drivers are now plentiful enough thankfully.

Bob
  6. Thanks for the reply.

I was originally thinking of ordering a amd mobo from newegg ( i can check ratings and reviews, makes it easier for me) but my friend linked me to pricewatch.com and they have MOBO combos

Their combo comes out relatively cheap but im guessing their mobo must be really bad, or is it?

http://www.pricewatch.com/motherboard_combos/athlon_x2_6000_cpu_fan.htm

Anyone know if the "free" mobos they supply in those offers are any good?
  7. bobwya said:
    Useful comment since it has half the cache and saves a whole 5 USD (wow) vs the Athlon 6000+ on NewEgg... OP has said he is a newbie (= no overclocking).

Bob

Useless comment & flame, Bob.

I guess you cannot see the difference between a 125w Windsor and a 65w Bribane.

You Fail.

woodyfly said:
    Thanks for the reply.

I was originally thinking of ordering a amd mobo from newegg ( i can check ratings and reviews, makes it easier for me) but my friend linked me to pricewatch.com and they have MOBO combos

Their combo comes out relatively cheap but im guessing their mobo must be really bad, or is it?

http://www.pricewatch.com/motherboard_combos/athlon_x2_6000_cpu_fan.htm

Anyone know if the "free" mobos they supply in those offers are any good?

PC Chips mobos would not be a good choice.

You will be better served by a quality motherboard and a little less CPU. In your 'price range' ...

ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI: $77
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131324

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 65W: $59.50
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103211

The Asus 780g is Phenom ready, has quality onboard video, a PCIe Gen2 x16 slot for video card upgrade, firewire, eSATA and optical s/pdif out.

Asus is great with BIOS support - making an upgrade to the new AMD quads a future possibility.
  8. Wisecracker said:

You Fail.

The 2Mb cache Windsor will beat a 1Mb cache Brisbane at the same clocks (just look up the benchies). The guy has said he is a newbie so will probably not want to overclock at all. Your comment is therefore not very helpful and downright rude in fact (heh heh I love a good flame war :sol: ).

I would therefore still go with the older core (enabling Cool & Quite of course to mitigate the extra TDP). Since we have not been told what OP wants to do with the system you can't assume his apps. are not cache dependent (e.g. gaming).

Bob
  9. Correct, i wont be planning on doing any overclocking. I will be light gaming as well. Quake Live, half life, hl2, and some mmorpgs. My concern is stability. My intel right now is sooo crappy. Im running e6300 and it IDLES at 46c and rockets to 60c with light gaming, im very dissapointed with intel. One dissapointment is all it takes, i wont ever be touching an intel ever again.
  10. Will my psu be able to handle that 125w Chip? My psu is only 350w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104953
  11. I think I would take steps to troubleshoot the temp problem befor I spent any money
  12. Wisecracker said:

You Fail.

Some Windsors are 65 watt. The 3 I'm replacing with Phenoms in our PC's were all 65 watt models; 3800+, 4200+ and 3600+.

I'm just not sure whether to switch out my wife's ASUS 690G board with 9600 support and get her the same 780G board I have (or the ASUS 780G board my son has) with an 8750 or just go with a 9600 for now.

Wisecracker said:

PC Chips mobos would not be a good choice.

You will be better served by a quality motherboard and a little less CPU. In your 'price range'

PC Chips is owned by ECS, I believe, and ECS mobos are all bundled with cheap X2 processors at Fry's. So I don't trust either brand. :lol:

I agree that ASUS and Gigabyte have good boards. I found my Gigabyte 780G to be a bit better than the equivalent ASUS model in my son's PC.
  13. yipsl said:
    Some Windsors are 65 watt. The 3 I'm replacing with Phenoms in our PC's were all 65 watt models; 3800+, 4200+ and 3600+.

I'm just not sure whether to switch out my wife's ASUS 690G board with 9600 support and get her the same 780G board I have (or the ASUS 780G board my son has) with an 8750 or just go with a 9600 for now.

PC Chips is owned by ECS, I believe, and ECS mobos are all bundled with cheap X2 processors at Fry's. So I don't trust either brand. :lol:

I agree that ASUS and Gigabyte have good boards. I found my Gigabyte 780G to be a bit better than the equivalent ASUS model in my son's PC.

You sure have alot of computers yipsl!
  14. Mine in my sig. Here are the others:

My wife's:

Athlon X2 3800+
    Antec Neo 550
    Asus 690G board (can support a 9600 upgrade)
    4 gigs Kingston DDR2 800
    Asus 3650 DDR2
    Sony DVD-R+/RW
    17" Viewsonic A70f+ CRT

internal drives:
    200 gig Seagate SATA
    500 gig Seagate SATA
    400 gig WD SATA

external drives:
    400 gig Maxtor IDE in an external case
    250 gig WD external
    two 500 gig Lacie externals

Blame anime and modding for Morrowind etc. for all that hard drive space.

My son's:

Athlon X2 4200+
    Antec True Power 550
    ASUS 780G
    250 gig Seagate SATA
    ASUS 3650
    17" Viewsonic A71f+

I'm using a Dell 17" given to me by a friend for the time being. I also have a 500 gig Lacie external.

Tired of switching out CPU's and motherboards. My wife needs something more powerful, just can't decide 9600 on the current board or get a Deneb or Nehalem later. I can wait for a CPU and motherboard as I want a 24" LCD and a Blu-ray drive (doesn't have to be burning can be combo)

I will get my wife a 4850 or 4870 and a 24" LCD, and my 8 year old son will get a 19" LCD and a 4650. What do you recommend for my wife's CPU upgrade (should last for two years or so):

9600 with the TLB bios fix enabled?

8650 with a Gigabyte or ASUS 780G board?

Wait for Nehalem or Deneb? (Might take money away from other upgrades).

I just can't decide. If I were single with only one PC, I could have a high end rig, but I'd rather have my wife and snarky ADHD kid around (and he is a smartaleck; he'll probably get banned from message boards in ten years or so :lol: ) He got mad that I upgraded my PC the other weekend and didn't upgrade his! I told him that back in 1979 I had to walk to the computation center uphill in the snow to play Advent, and that when I was his age we only had a black and white TV and the closest thing to a computer I'd seen was on episodes of The Time Tunnel ).

It's still cheaper building 3 budget PC's than it was building one PC around 1994 when I was single. I have an old 1995 issue of Computer Gaming World with a preview of Daggerfall (reason I kept it) and it had some expensive PC ads, buying from Computer Shopper wasn't much cheaper either.
  15. Maybe you should wait and see... the current Phenom die shrinked can't be worse than the non-shrinked ones ~ right?
  16. Yeah like AMD's 90 to 65nm shrink was a winner eh?

The fastest X2's are still the 2 X 1Mb 90nm cores ...

They OC just as much as the Brisbane does ... plus deliver better performance because they have superior cache latency.

If that is anything to go on in terms of a recommendation then Deneb is likely to be a fizzer in terms of perfomance ... other than a slightly lower TDP.

Just like Brisbane.
  17. +1 ^

damn Reynod beat me here, lol
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Product