Sign in with
Your question

How much RAM, memory, hard drive, and how fast a processor do we need

Last response: in Storage
December 3, 2009 12:07:28 AM

I am wanting to purchase a laptop for me and my daughter. I do not have a lot of computer knowledge but am learning as i go. on our computer we like to download music, play games, keep our pics, and burn cd's. Etc. how much memory, RAM, how fast a processor and how big a hard drive to i need to be looking for?
a b G Storage
December 3, 2009 2:41:59 AM

Laptops as a general rule are not ideal for playing a lot of games.
List which games you are most interested in and someone will be able to tell you if a reasonable laptop is available to cope with them, without emptying your pocket.
A lot of laptops now come with 4 GB of ram and 320-500GB drives, with external drives for storing music, photos and videos being quite cheap.
If you are not into extreme gaming, Newegg have an Acer that may suit your needs @ $1349.99.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
As always it's all down to how much you want to spend.
m
l
February 11, 2010 6:25:47 PM

All I really want is a laptop or PC that I can use to work from home - Office Suite of products - save some photos and some music. I'd like it to be fast on the Web so that I can browse quickly. Any recommendations? Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
February 14, 2010 5:59:12 PM

Hello there!

You said you want to use the laptop for downloading, playing music, managing pictures and burning cd's. Those are very simple tasks and do not require a powerful processor.

Playing games, however, is totally different and requires both a powerful processor and powerful videocard. If you meant only 'light' games like Flash-games on websites, kid's games, freecell, etc. - then you don't need a powerful videocard. But anything that's 3D and moving graphics, requires a good videocard.

You have several options:
- a light and cheap netbook - has slow CPU and not suitable for gaming, small screen but very cheap and does all your basic stuff just fine

- a laptop with dualcore cpu and nvidia/ati graphics card - more expensive but allows for gaming

- a high-end laptop with quadcore cpu and high-end nvidia/ati graphics - not recommended; buy a desktop instead for only half the price!
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
February 14, 2010 6:00:38 PM

Just see this is an old topic, resurrected by Boston2AZ. Please, don't do that again. You just wasted 10 minutes of my time. Start your own thread next time. Thanks!
m
l
February 15, 2010 3:41:55 AM

look at Newegg, Geeks, and EverTek, most any late model Laptop will do, Gaming is different, serious Games require serious power, as for Office download Open Office it's free and does everthing that MSFT Office does and to me much better
m
l
February 20, 2013 2:38:25 PM

Jonmor68 said:
Laptops as a general rule are not ideal for playing a lot of games.
List which games you are most interested in and someone will be able to tell you if a reasonable laptop is available to cope with them, without emptying your pocket.
A lot of laptops now come with 4 GB of ram and 320-500GB drives, with external drives for storing music, photos and videos being quite cheap.
If you are not into extreme gaming, Newegg have an Acer that may suit your needs @ $1349.99.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
As always it's all down to how much you want to spend.

Hi, I want to know what computer would be best to play my Sims game????
m
l
!