want to wipe drive of everything and install XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything and
start over with Windows XP.

Any suggestions or instructions on how to do that?

Is there special software needed for this?

Thank you.

--
Robert Anderson
4 answers Last reply

    Robert Anderson wrote:

    > Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything
    > and start over with Windows XP.

    If you were you, I would choose an upgrade rather than a clean installation,
    but if that's what you want...
    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if necessary to
    accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean installation (delete the
    existing partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Robert Anderson" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything and
    | start over with Windows XP.
    |
    | Any suggestions or instructions on how to do that?
    |
    | Is there special software needed for this?
    |
    | Thank you.
    |
    | --
    | Robert Anderson
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Robert Anderson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything and
    > start over with Windows XP.
    >
    > Any suggestions or instructions on how to do that?
    >
    > Is there special software needed for this?
    >
    > Thank you.

    As others have said, you can just go ahead and install XP from the CD
    and it should work fine. However, I don't believe that this simple act
    of installation will truly "wipe out everything" since the most that it
    does is reformat the drive and this merely makes the drive sectors look
    empty -- anyone with physical access to the machine and the proper
    knowledge (and sometimes equipment) can read some, if not most, of the
    information back off the drive. That is just the way that format works.

    If you truly want to "wipe everything out" (destroying the evidence as
    it were) then you need to take added steps. The easiest way that I've
    found is to use "eraser" http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ to create a "boot
    and nuke" floppy disk. WARNING: using this floppy disk will truly make
    your data go away and in such a way that the National Security Agency
    would likely find it impossible to resurrect it -- use it with great
    caution. I use this process when preparing drives for disposal just to
    be sure that no critical information is left behind.

    If the previous paragraph sounds even the least bit scary to you and if
    you don't have information on your system that might lead to an
    indictment then just doing the install from the XP CD is probably the
    right way for you to go.

    John McGaw
    http://johnmcgaw.com
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Robert Anderson" <nonspam@nospams.com> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything and
    > start over with Windows XP.
    >
    > Any suggestions or instructions on how to do that?
    Isn't this covered in the manual?

    > Is there special software needed for this?
    About all you need is the installation CD. And, you need to follow the
    instructions in your manual that describe how to get the computer to boot
    from the CD as first in the list.
    Backup all of your data files before starting anything. You ought to have
    one of the many packages already.
    Jim

    > Thank you.
    >
    > --