want to wipe drive of everything and install XP

August 26, 2005 1:19:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything and
start over with Windows XP.

Any suggestions or instructions on how to do that?

Is there special software needed for this?

Thank you.

--
Robert Anderson

More about : wipe drive install

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:51:01 PM

Robert Anderson wrote:

> Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything
> and start over with Windows XP.

If you were you, I would choose an upgrade rather than a clean installation,
but if that's what you want...
Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if necessary to
accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean installation (delete the
existing partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).

You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Robert Anderson" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything and
| start over with Windows XP.
|
| Any suggestions or instructions on how to do that?
|
| Is there special software needed for this?
|
| Thank you.
|
| --
| Robert Anderson
August 26, 2005 6:37:06 PM

Robert Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything and
> start over with Windows XP.
>
> Any suggestions or instructions on how to do that?
>
> Is there special software needed for this?
>
> Thank you.

As others have said, you can just go ahead and install XP from the CD
and it should work fine. However, I don't believe that this simple act
of installation will truly "wipe out everything" since the most that it
does is reformat the drive and this merely makes the drive sectors look
empty -- anyone with physical access to the machine and the proper
knowledge (and sometimes equipment) can read some, if not most, of the
information back off the drive. That is just the way that format works.

If you truly want to "wipe everything out" (destroying the evidence as
it were) then you need to take added steps. The easiest way that I've
found is to use "eraser" http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ to create a "boot
and nuke" floppy disk. WARNING: using this floppy disk will truly make
your data go away and in such a way that the National Security Agency
would likely find it impossible to resurrect it -- use it with great
caution. I use this process when preparing drives for disposal just to
be sure that no critical information is left behind.

If the previous paragraph sounds even the least bit scary to you and if
you don't have information on your system that might lead to an
indictment then just doing the install from the XP CD is probably the
right way for you to go.

John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
August 26, 2005 10:19:04 PM

"Robert Anderson" <nonspam@nospams.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Currently, my laptop has Windows 2000. I want to wipe out everything and
> start over with Windows XP.
>
> Any suggestions or instructions on how to do that?
Isn't this covered in the manual?

> Is there special software needed for this?
About all you need is the installation CD. And, you need to follow the
instructions in your manual that describe how to get the computer to boot
from the CD as first in the list.
Backup all of your data files before starting anything. You ought to have
one of the many packages already.
Jim

!