Nvidia: Only Brits care about ATI

azorees

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/nvidia-only-brits-care-about-ati-364318 . Direct link to the article

No one cares about AMD or its graphics subsidiary ATI anymore. Well, apart from we Brits, that is. Then again, nobody loves rooting for a hapless chump quite like the British, either.

At least, that's what Nvidia spinmeister extraordinaire Roy Taylor reckons. Taylor is actually Nvidia's main man for Content Relations Stateside. But he has been kind enough to hop the pond to provide some insight into Nvidia's plans and prospects.

Insight such as this: "The UK is the only place in the world where anyone talks about AMD or ATI". To prove his point, Taylor went as far as showing us a graph representing the entire market for GPUs last year, both discreet and integrated. Astonishingly, ATI did not feature at all.

Where was ATI among the 366 million graphics chips which had apparently been split exclusively between Nvidia and Intel in 2007? "No one cares," Taylor says.

ATI who?

Well, to be more accurate, Nvidia didn't care enough to include ATI in that slide - Taylor did have another showing ATI with 18 per cent of the market, a figure apparently so small as to render it effectively non existent.

Indeed, Nvidia may care just a little more than it lets on, since Taylor was keen to press home the point by quoting two independent surveys (Valve's Steam users and the YouGamers community) which put ATI's market share for DirectX 10 compliant GPUs in the 12-13 per cent range. Ouch.

With what is shaping up to be a killer new GPU due out this summer and ATI still struggling to land an significant punches, there's a real swagger to Nvidia's gait of late. And yet its merciless dismissal of the old enemy ATI is only half of the story.

For Nvidia is now stalking a much bigger beast. The real threat over the next five years will almost definitely come from Intel. Especially now that Intel itself has staked a claim to Nvidia's graphics turf with the upcoming Larrabee chip.

And wouldn't you know it, Nvidia - viaTaylor - has that angle covered too. But that's a whole different ball game. In fact, it's one you can read about later on TechRadar.

IS Nvidia getting a bit worried from ATI's new to be released card, or is it true that its only us brits that cares about ATI.
And the biggest threat going to be intel.

Maybe this is the reason why Nvidia don't care about it's pricing scheme.

Please give real and true answers i may just e-mail the result to the Nvidia Dooooooooode

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Nvidia is getting very good at spinning. With the amount of chips busting they better improve their PR. Well beyond the thunder dome. Dell and HP bill might shut them down. HP bill alone almost did.

As for statistics?
There are lies, there are really big lies and then you got statistics.

I don't go for a word that spin doctor says.

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Surely this article must of been dated prior to the launch of the 4800 series???!

OK before the 4800 series it has been nvidia all the way.... but the new cards are outselling nvidias latest by a large margin...ATI will be eating into nvidias profits and market share. Find me a company director who honestly doesnt care about that.

Ah yes it is dated the 9th may (just thought to look) ...

Very old article.

Nvidia is definatly caring about their pricing scheme since ATI's 4850 and 4870 were released.
Just look at the price drops the GTX 200 series have taken.
At release you were looking at spending $600+ for the GTX 280 and $450+ for a GTX 260.
In the month after the release of ATI's cards, prices have droped to as low as $245 for the 260 and $390 for the 280.

Couple that with the 4870 walking all over the GTX 260 and in some games matching the GTX 280.
As a 4870 can be had for as low as $250, times are not looking as good for nVidia as they were in May.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

sure,....i believ thats y prices of gtx280 fell $200 over less than a week.

article based on 9thmay, when rest of the world believed that 4780 will perform less than gtx260 and on par with 9800GTX+.....wat i would love to see is their pretty faces when we saw wat 4870 could actually achieve for its given price....

azorees

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
That whjat i thought Outlw6669 but i thinks its bad PR for some one of his position to make a statement like that.
I don't know how the top end companies work but i'm sure he must have had an idea ATI was going to launch such a card to try and redeem themselves even if it sold ast much less profits than previous card, If i was this guy i would of made a statement such as this " ATI sales have dropped but they are not out of it yet we may need to keep a close eye on what they do next in order to counter them but at this moment in time all is going Nvidia's way ".
I do agree that ATI has had it hard v Nvidia but when it boils down to it the only 2 major GPU companies are Nvidia and ATI( AMD ), so each giant is going to take a fall once in a while and hopefully not break anything.
But from that article about its just the brits that care we need to know from other countries if they care about ATI or not even prior to the release of the 4870 or 4870x2? .

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Thats an old article based on the GTX200 series vs the HD3800 series. Since the release of the HD4800 series, Nvidia has drastically reduced their prices to try and compete.

ATI is chewing big chunks out of their market share and with the intro of the new 4870 X2, ATI has the most powerful graphics card on the market. Thats got to be troubling to nvidia since they dont have anything that can match it at the moment.

azorees

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
even tho the article is from may i posted it because of the statement that no one cares about ATI apart from us brits . thats the reason i posted it up not because ATI releases the 4870 gpu, its all about the statement of what a high flying person said to show his ignorance because Nvidia was holding the market for the fastest gpu.
Don't get me wrong i love Geforce gpu's but just because they was top for so long don't mean that the under dog is going to close shop it just means they going to fight back harder, thats why i can't believe he made such a statement as if ATI was dead and burried all ready, well thats the way i read it anyway.

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I'm a Nvidia fan and even I have to say this is awesome considering how much ATI destroyed them right after he said all this.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Ah, yes, this is a beautiful trip down memory lane, now isn't it? We get to see how, only a few months back, people, especially nVidia themselves, were dismissing ATi at every chance that they could get. The 4800 series was presumed to be a dud, with even expectations that the 4870X2 wouldn't match the GTX 260; i.e, it'd be as incremental a gain over 3870 as that was over 2900XT.

Yet now that we're in the REAL present, not today as was falsely imagined by those people then? It's amusing to look back at their fallacy, yes it is. And I suspect that the taste of such amusement is quite bittersweet to nVidia, now that the justification for their existence has effectively been cut down to a single card, the 8800GT, with only a handful of other cards even able to be competitive at all, and none being able to visibly trump ATi's offerings.

I guess that at this point, only Californians care about nVidia. :p

Im must be a very lonely guy. Im a yank, and I care. LOL So, we are reminded of nVidias cavalier attitude at the time, where we saw huge pricing on so so cards. We are reminded that nVidia thinks just like Intel, and it worried them so much, they forgot about .... ATI? OOOOps. Only nVidia and Intel come out with such bunk. Worth rereading tho its old, helps us to remember those 300$ 9800GTX days, those 650$ G280 days. Im betting nVidia would just as soon forget whats happened since

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Azorees,

If Roy Taylor had been down under, I bet he would have said something like, "Only the Aussies still care about ATi." Or speaking (here) in the US, he might make some crack about a small company frozen up in Canada. I wouldn't give much more credence to his statement on the GPU market than I would to Chinese propaganda on human rights. Considering the source, the motivation, and the desired outcome, I might even give less.