help with new build - cant install OS

adamthepolak

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
hey guys, so i just finished putting together a new computer for someone and all the hardware is put together but when i boot the computer it shows the first 2 loading screens and then stops on one that gives me the options to either enter the setup menu or boot menu. every time i get to this point and try pressing ESC to go into the boot menu so i can install the OS it wont let me. ive tried pressing F2 to go into setup also but nothing happens either. anybody know what can be the problem. ive tried using 2 different keyboards and still nothing.

the set up is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 10248MB)
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card
120 GB SATA Maxtor hard drive

peter_peter

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
have you verified the keyboard port work at all? any input work for the keyboard at all? USB?

to me it sounds like a keboard issue or the mobo keyboard connection - try usb keyboard (if you have one).

Can you get into your bios setup screen at all?

adamthepolak

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
ive tried using both the usb port and the keyboard port on the mobo and nothing and no i cant get into the bios setup screen at all.
do u think it could have something to do with the motherboard?

adamthepolak

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
i tried removing the battery and still nothing and ive used 2 different key boards that work fine on other computers. and i tried unpluging the drive and still nothing

peter_peter

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
To be honest - I've never had a mobo keyboard connection not work - especially if you have usb and ps/2 keyboards. Go thru all you other hardware parts again (cpu fan, power supply mobo connection - i had a friend using 6 pin instead of 4 or 8 pin for mobo), etc.

peter_peter

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Also - if you have two sticks of ram - try removing one stick and boot with one installed only. I've had ram be a problem in the past too.

peter_peter

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Nice. Once vista/xp is installed, you can put the ram back in... Normally only during the initial boot it give problems. If fails again, then you have a bad stick.

Glad you got it figured out.