Palm OS versus Pocket PC

November 22, 2004 12:41:11 AM

I have been a Palm OS user for at least 5 years now. I am about to
renew my Sony Clie and I am currently undecided whether to go for an
HP IPAQ or stick to a Palm OS. I noted that the Pocket PC has recently
gained a lot of grounds on the Palm OS in terms of sale figures. Is
this anything to go by???? I would appreciate any views on the matter.
What are the pros & cons of both OS? Hope to hear from you guys as I
intend to offer myself one for Xmas...... Thanks Robert

More about : palm versus pocket

November 22, 2004 12:47:58 AM

This one should get plenty of responses...

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:41:11 +0400, Harry wrote:
> I have been a Palm OS user for at least 5 years now. I am about to
> renew my Sony Clie and I am currently undecided whether to go for an
> HP IPAQ or stick to a Palm OS. I noted that the Pocket PC has recently
> gained a lot of grounds on the Palm OS in terms of sale figures. Is
> this anything to go by???? I would appreciate any views on the matter.
> What are the pros & cons of both OS? Hope to hear from you guys as I
> intend to offer myself one for Xmas...... Thanks Robert

IMHO, the sales figures mean little as far as which PDA type meets your
needs. From what I've seen, the sales figures are skewed by:
1. Companies like Dell selling dirt cheap PDAs and even giving them away
with a larger purchase.
2. Companies (like mine, unfortunately) who think that anything Microsoft
is good and buy the WinCE device without actually seeing if it meets their
needs better than the Palm device.

What I have personally seen is:
People who have Palm PDAs actually use them as PDAs.
People who have WinCE devices either don't use them (i.e. they mainly sit
by their PC in their charging cradle) or use them as palm-sized laptops to
haul around Excel and Word documents.
November 22, 2004 2:12:08 AM

Nemo wrote (21-11-2004 22:47):
> use them as palm-sized laptops to haul around Excel and Word documents.

And still the Documents2Go compatibility with Word/Excel is better then
their own CE product :/

Huub
November 22, 2004 3:52:34 AM

"Harry" <harrysmith03@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been a Palm OS user for at least 5 years now. I am about to
> renew my Sony Clie and I am currently undecided whether to go for an
> HP IPAQ or stick to a Palm OS. I noted that the Pocket PC has recently
> gained a lot of grounds on the Palm OS in terms of sale figures. Is
> this anything to go by???? I would appreciate any views on the matter.
> What are the pros & cons of both OS? Hope to hear from you guys as I
> intend to offer myself one for Xmas...... Thanks Robert

Sales figures are not necessarily to be ignored, but they aren't the final
word either. I think there is a basic difference between a Pocket PC and a
Palm OS device today. The PPC units are trying to be mini-Windows devices
with Windows like features. Palm devices were designed to be PDAs but have
begun to add computer type features such as networking support and document
handling (Docs To Go).

I would recommend that you consider what you need the PDA to do for you. I
personally like Palm devices but I mostly use mine for scheduling, keeping
track of addresses and phone numbers, reading ebooks and the occasional
game.

One advantage of PPC is that WiFi seems to be much better supported and
hardware costs are lower compared to comparably equipped Palm units. By the
way, Palm still sells more PDAs than any other company although HP and Dell
together sell more PPC units.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 8:54:33 AM

Harry <harrysmith03@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<7lk1q09vbcr4gi4o4ldnlefnjs64f1bt15@4ax.com>...
> I have been a Palm OS user for at least 5 years now. I am about to
> renew my Sony Clie and I am currently undecided whether to go for an
> HP IPAQ or stick to a Palm OS. I noted that the Pocket PC has recently
> gained a lot of grounds on the Palm OS in terms of sale figures. Is
> this anything to go by???? I would appreciate any views on the matter.
> What are the pros & cons of both OS? Hope to hear from you guys as I
> intend to offer myself one for Xmas...... Thanks Robert

Four years ago I replaced my Palm Vx with an HP Jornada 568. I was
fairly disappointed with WinCE's MS Office support but liked the way
it synchronised with MS Outlook. On the other hand, I preferred the
Palm's neat interface and uncomplicated file structure (almost
nonexistent).

Two weeks ago I replaced the Jornada with a Tungsten T5 because I
wanted the Palm feeling back. MS Office document support with the
bundled Docs2Go is better than anything on the WinCE platform but I
struggled with MS Outlook synchronisation. As palmOne's conduits
seemed a little buggy I replaced them with Chapura's PocketMirror Pro
XT and everything works fine again, so far.

Just my experience...

Cheers!
Hans
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 8:14:50 PM

Hans H. Siegrist schrieb:

>but I
>struggled with MS Outlook synchronisation.

Why not use something different than Outlook? Outlook is a big security
hole anyway and it's also lacking some fine functions a mail client
should have, so why not replace that?
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 6:50:00 AM

"Martin Brunner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
Hans H. Siegrist schrieb:

>but I
>struggled with MS Outlook synchronisation.

Why not use something different than Outlook? Outlook is a big security
hole anyway and it's also lacking some fine functions a mail client
should have, so why not replace that?

That may be very hard to do in the Corporate world. Most companies I know
(in the US) use Exchange and Outlook exclusively. You would have a heck of
a time getting the powers that be to allow some non-MS email reader.

Not disagreeing with you, just saying that sometimes you don't have control
over how you access your email (at least at your place of work).

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 9:32:33 AM

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Iryod.2642> That may be very hard to do in the Corporate world. Most companies I know
> (in the US) use Exchange and Outlook exclusively. You would have a heck of
> a time getting the powers that be to allow some non-MS email reader.
>
> Not disagreeing with you, just saying that sometimes you don't have control
> over how you access your email (at least at your place of work).
>
> Cheers
> TC

Exactly. As it is in my case (public administration in Switzerland)
where you simply have no choice at all.

Cheers!
Hans
!