Making my computer a PVR

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 4, 2004 9:53:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

How should I make my computer a PVR? I will be connecting my Directv
to the computer via composite\rca jacks. What kind of card should I
get. I do not want a tuner in the card just the rca jacks. I also
would like to plug my video camera into the card and record the video
onto the computer also.

Nathan

More about : making computer pvr

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 6:27:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Hello Nathan,

NP> How should I make my computer a PVR? I will be connecting my
> Directv to the computer via composite\rca jacks. What kind of
> card should I get. I do not want a tuner in the card just the
> rca jacks. I also would like to plug my video camera into the
> card and record the video onto the computer also.

It sounds like you need a video capture device of some sort, either an
expansion card that fits inside your computer or an external USB or
IEEE-1394 "FireWire" equivalent.

Each frame of (conventional) video is divided into two fields. I'm
told that the low-end capture devices grab only every other field,
losing some information in the process. A better one should snag both
fields. The cheap ones only capture 200 or 240 lines per frame, the
more expensive ones should provide 400 or 480 (including information
from both fields). Look for a device that can sustain a 30 frames per
second capture rate without sacrificing resolution.

You may need separate software for the PVR function that isn't
included with your video capture device. That's all I know.

Good luck,
- Andy Ball.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 5:13:17 PM