dannymichel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
i followed directions for 'overclocking' my cpu on overclock.net.
I'm not sure what happened because I was asleep but i was running prime95 and my computer restarted when i woke up. i got that black screen that says 'start windows normally' (the one that usually comes on after a BSOD)
can anyone help me figure out what happened and how to fix it?
i just want to be stable (maybe not even overclock but get the settings right to be stable)

^ Were you trying different settings in the BIOS ???
If yes, then it might have caused that problems...
Some reasons -
-> The voltage might not be suffice for the overclocked CPU to run stable.
-> Incorrect memory settings (Voltage, CAS and Speed)
If you want to avoid those, a simple solution would be to set everything to AUTO or reset the BIOS...But the components might not run at full specified speed and settings though...

dannymichel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
putting everything on auto on this particular motherboard doesnt seem to work well. i get choppy audio with eist on and such.
im using the settings from the above link

^ Have you overclocked you CPU or is it set to the stock 2.6GHz speed...and are you using a stock cooler or an aftermarket CPU cooler???
Prime95 stresses the CPU to max so overheating can be the reason for the restart...

dannymichel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
i have an intel e6600 and my settings are as follows:
CPU Host Clock Control - Enabled
CPU Host Frequency - 333
Performance Enhance - Standard
System Memory Mulitplier - 2.40B
DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual
CAS Latency - 4
tRCD - 4
tRP - 4
tRAS - 12

Advanced Timing Control (submenu)
tRRD - 3
tWTR - 3
tWR - 8
tRFC - 52
tRTP - 3
Command Rate - 2

Load Line Calibration - Disabled
CPU VCore - 1.30V
MCH Core - 1.20V
MCH/DRAM Reference - 1.0V
ICH I/O Core - 1.60V
ICH Core - 1.20V
DRAM Voltage - 2.10V

i am using the stock cooler

if those settings dont look stable can u help me with what is?

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Dude. You have to understand one thing.

Every cpu is not created equal. You cant just copy somone elses settings and expect it to run fine.

If i had an e6600 it may take me little to no voltage increase to get to 3ghz while yours may take a mssive increase in voltage to get to that speed.

Every overclock is different.

dannymichel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007

but that is me in that thread
that guy in that post gave me those settings for my cpu and memory
i uploaded my logs

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Ok, Let me give it to you clear. The settings you chose require some more voltae than your supplying to them when you set it manually.

Thus the system is unstable.

2. Get a nice aftermarket cooler and trash the stock. Your temps are awful.

3. Can we see the "realtemp" temps? everest tends to lie

dannymichel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
those temperatures were recorded during a stress test.
these are not.

if im going to need more voltage to run at an overclock i guess what im asking for are settings that will just keep me stable (not necessarily an overclock)

[edit] another]

I worked an E6600 up to 3.6 GHz. But I had a better than average cooler (TRUE) in a better than average case.

First, get a better cooler. Sunbeam Core Contact or Xigmatic Dark Knight are both excellent sub-$50 coolers. Do not try to go over 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler. Your temps will be too high.

Second, ditch the memory overclocking. It really does not get you any extra real world performance. Set your system memory multiplier to the first 2.0 that you see in the BIOS. Then your mem mult should always be twice the FSB. Running your memory more than twice as fast as your FSB will not get you any more real performance. (Yes, I repeated myself.)

Third, relax your memory timings to 5-5-5-15-2T. That will pretty much eliminate memory as a stumbling block to your OC. Get your CPU stable first, then go back and optimize everything else.

Keep your temps under 70 C. and your core volts under 1.5 volts.

My goal for stress testing the CPU is a 24 hour P95 test run.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz