Sign in with
Your question

Newbie trying to overclock my geforce 9600 gt

Last response: in Overclocking
August 19, 2009 3:58:58 PM

Last night i spent like 2 hours trying to overclock my geforce 9600 gt low power edition and couldnt get it to be stable on left 4 dead, it would either crash after 2 minutes or just lag the whole time. I know its not a heat issue because it was constantly around 52C. I have a Asus P5N-E 650i sli motherboard with, 2gb of ram and a 500w psu.
I was using Rivatuner to overclock it. Is there something holding it back like my cpu or power supply? The graphics card comes shipped with the core clock at 600Mhz, shader clock 1500Mhz and memory clock 1800Mhz.

Heres the graphics card i got from newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 19, 2009 4:23:10 PM

FFrncs2 said:
Last night i spent like 2 hours trying to overclock my geforce 9600 gt low power edition and couldnt get it to be stable on left 4 dead, it would either crash after 2 minutes or just lag the whole time. I know its not a heat issue because it was constantly around 52C. I have a Asus P5N-E 650i sli motherboard with, 2gb of ram and a 500w psu.
I was using Rivatuner to overclock it. Is there something holding it back like my cpu or power supply? The graphics card comes shipped with the core clock at 600Mhz, shader clock 1500Mhz and memory clock 1800Mhz.

Heres the graphics card i got from newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And i have a core 2 duo E6550 by the way
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2009 5:45:52 PM

What speeds were you at?

You should do incremental increases and test after each increase. Do one item at a time. Core, find the max stable. Then work on Shaders. then Memory. Don't do all at once.

Use Furmark, 3Dmark06 or Vantage to test for errors. Let the test run for an extended time, not just one pass.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2009 6:59:56 PM

Well you have to take into consideration that the 9600GT is a poor overclocker compared to the GTX series..... You might be able to get it a tad faster but dont expect a night n day difference in games.....

Use Ntune to adjust the core and memory clocks and you should be fine....
!