Price not an issue

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Im going to build a new system, and usally im very thorough using a few month on reading and planning.

But this time since i was kinda waiting for the Nehalem (how ever its spelled), and by the looks of it will take a good few months yet to arrive ( unless im mistaken), and that my system is starting to act realy wierd (Cant install windows anymore without the system totaly freezes on me and stuff like that).

I've desided to get a new one now, and so starte to look for components. i usally start from the top and work my way down to a good high end gaming computer. and in this case I've so far found following components

Q9550
Corsair RAM 1600Mhz DDR 3
HD4870 x2 2GB ram
2x Velociraptor 300 GB

But im a bit in doubt what Motherboard to use with this. as far as i know there are two chipsets to look for either 790i or x48 but dont know if there are anyone better than them out there, and im currently only looking at two "vendors" if you will,
Asus and Gigabyte.

im planning to upgrade the entire system with a complete watercooling system.

so any suggestions or pointers are most welcome.

X48 is very popular. You can do Crossfire. It uses ATI video cards and it uses DDR2, which is a lot less expensive than DDR3. DDR3 is not worth it yet.
Asus and Gigabyte are the best manufacturers.
Nehalem will be out in November. Nehalem motherboards start at $300.00 and support both Crossfire and SLI.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
ok, here's the scoop, if you're going to go with DDR3, get a triple channel kit and make sure it can be used with Nehalem (Core i7), like i dont think the 1066Mhz DDR3 will work with Core i7, so you might want to check which speeds are compatible for any plan of future upgrade to Nehalem.

EVERYTHING else in there is legit and will last you a long time, as for the MoBo, I might suggest Biostar, they make a solid product...

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Super thank you now i have something to go for.

Any suggestions on type of mobo under thoes two vendors .. or just go for the one with x48 ( dont know if they have more than one)

Anyways thanks

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The ASUS Rampage Formula is a great MB. It has the X48 chipset and supports 16x/16x crossfire and overclocks great. The ASUS P5E Deluxe is the Rampage Formula minus the Onboard buttons and the LCD poster.

If you are looking for a socket 775 board the ASUS Rampage Formula is one of the best. The Rampage Extreme is the DDR3 version of the Rampage Formula. If you want to go with DDR3 get the Extreme, if you want DDR2 get the formula.

I agree with Evongugg DDR3 is not worth it now. The speed increase is not worth the extra price. You can get 8 Gig of DDR2 for the price of 4 Gig of DDR3.

1Haplo

TRENDING THREADS