32 bit processor limitations?

kenw232

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
I'm buying a powerful rack server. I'm trying to decide if I need to go to 64 bit or not.

If I go with a 32 bit server, what are my real limitations? It will be running Windows Server 2003 Enterperise edition. So the maximum memeory I should get is 4GB correct? because the server/software cannot see/use the memory beyond 4GB?

What constitiutes a 64bit server? A Itanium processor and thats it (with windows server x64 I mean)? If so can I install 32bit windows on it and use it normally as if its not 64 bit?

If I go full 64bit everything, will 32bit windows apps work fine on a 64bit windows server? or do the apps/utilities I have need to be 64bit?

kenw232@yahoo.com
thanks.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
No, the maximum memory is not 4 GB it is 64 GB for 32 bit and 2 TB for 64 bit.
This page is the best reference for all windows editions:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

There is no reason to go with an Itanium processor for most server tasks, a Xeon or Opteron would be fine as they are 64 bit processors (newer models at least). I would avoid the Itanium unless you ahve a very specific requirement for it.

What type of tasks is the server destined for?

32 bit apps work fine on a 64 bit OS although there is a minor performance hit. Most major apps come in 64 bit editions also nowadays as it is just a matter of recompiling the code for the msot aprt.

kenw232

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
The server will be for virtualization. I'll be running VMWare Server, the free one under windows 2003. So I need memory.

If I use VMWare Server 2.X with a 32bit server with say 12 GB of memory, VMWare Server can see and use all that memory for the virtual machines then correct?

Does anyone know? I'm just under this impression that VMware server or anything for that matter has problems using memory beyond 4 or 6 GB?

The thing is, with a 32 bit system each app can only use 4GB. Technically the main OS itself can handle more than 4GB by use PAE, but there are limitations. That link that Kamel sent you will inform you of the limitations going with 32 bit versions of windows.

You're going to have to go to the VMWare page for specifics, but I'm pretty sure it's limited to just 4GB in a 32-bit OS. If you want to use all that memory just go with a 64-bit OS