suggestion on a stable motherboard

solo3232

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ok, first post on here. I have read many threads and reviews and just cant come to a conclusion as to what motherboard to upgrade to... to start off im upgrading from a bfg 680sli, with an e6750. and a pair of 8800gtx's in sli.

i was planning on going with a intel q9550 and oc it to around 3.8, and a 4870x2 for now, and going CF later on down the road. im completely lost as to go with a p45, x38, x48. and what brand.. im torn between asus, and gigabit..

would either of the two be better for overclocking, and which would be more stable. also should i run with ddr2, or 3. thanks in advance for any responses i get, and/or constructive criticism on my build choice.

Well as far as overclocking potential it's going to depend on the board model and revision. Asus makes good boards, but I hate using their website to try to find things out. Gigabyte has an easy to navigate site and they are pretty good about customer support if you can't find the answers there. Go for DDR2 memory. DDR3 isn't worth the extra cost right now. Since you want to go with the 4870X2 go with an X48 board. The X38 has pretty much the same capabilities as an X48, it just has a lower official FSB speed. X38 boards aren't as easy to find now so you may as well just go with the X48, unless you come across a good deal on an X38.

solo3232

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
anybody have any opinions between the asus rampage formula, and the giga x48-dq6. torn between the 2 boards now that i have decided to go with an x48... just cant seem to decide which one.. they both look like they have what im looking for, but i keep hearing horror stories from people about the asus boards constantly being doa. does anyone know if there is any truth to this? or have any personal experience with the boards, good or bad.

TRENDING THREADS