Asus P5Q Pro onboard lan

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
sup guys. i have an asus p5q pro motherboard on my new rig. its been fine in every department except for one thing... my onboard ethernet is acting up. heres the scenerio.

im downloading torrents (this is when i notice it disconneting, other than that i dont really notice it) and i get disconnected from the lan (the bottom right toolbar says not connected) this lasts for a split second then connects again. this has been happening for about a couple weeks and ive only had this mobo for a few weeks. the drivers are working fine as far as windows can tell me. now im not sure if this is the cable or if its the ethernet thats acting up. anyway to test it?

Razz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Did you fix this werxen? i have exactly de same problem in 2 differents computers with same onboard Land

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Razz, no success here brother. I switched out the ethernet cable thinking that might be the problem but now... i'm starting to have my doubts.

jmx600

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I have also been having issues, try a different NIC to see if that solves the problem. Atheros.com also has some updated drivers that might help. The one from Asus are 1.0.0.34 and Atheros has a 1.0.0.38 http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx.

I went with a Intel pro 1000 Gt and now I can actually enjoy my new rig.

rpw05

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I've had similar issues with the Asus P5Q (with the same Atheros chip). I have been able to reproduce the problem at will. If I start multiple, heavy downloads, I can crash the Atheros driver every time. Switching to a different NIC completely corrected the problem. I have not tried the newer Atheros driver, so if you do and it fixes the problem, please post back.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Werxen do you have Comcast? If you do you may want to switch ISPs since they restrict torrents. Although a lot of ISPs seem to be doing that lately but Comcast seems to the worst from what I've heard.