Jul 30, 2007
I have a problem with this PC.

1x 1GB RAM, 1x 512mb RAM sticks
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
200GB HDD
1 DVD writer
1 DVD drive
ATi Radeon X850XT

Yes, it's a bit dated, but it's been working fine until fairly recently.

I opened the case up to do a bit of dusting with a can of air duster, set the PC back up again, and everything was fine. However, about 2 weeks later, it's been having problems booting.

I press the power button, and one of the fans spins at what sounds like its maximum RPM. The HDD access light is on solid, and the DVD writer makes a noise every 6 seconds. Nothing is displayed on either monitor (doesn't even show the "manufacturer logo, press f1 for setup" screen). If I hold the power button down, it'll either switch off or switch off for half a second and turn itself back on and go back to not booting. If it switches off, pressing the power button again sometimes gets it to boot fine. When it has booted, it runs perfectly well with no problems.

Any ideas?

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
The fact that you had the case open is the clue. You should reseat the RAM and video card at the very least. Should those things not solve the problem, reseat the CPU and HSF. This has solved 99% of the problems that I have had in similar situations to yours.

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Sounds like a power supply issue maybe. Go back through and make sure everything is secured tightly, all the power cords all the other cords etc. If not the PS, it's probably the mobo.