PSU problems, i think... :O

novasoft

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
Hi,

I have a problem that i think i know the answer to, but i want to be sure..
I have two Graphic cards (HD3870 and GF8500GT).. And after loading windows the Computer restarts.. I think its the PSU that is the problem.. I can use one card at the time, but not both at the same time (HD3870 for Graphics and GF8500GT for PhysX :D)..

I have a ACE RAW 520W (A really cheap and crappy psu).
So, should i change the PSU, i was thinking about CORSAIR TX 650W because i think it's good.. ;)

So, could the PSU be the problem?

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
It could be.

Most obviously is your ATI and NVIDIA drivers wont ever play nice together, and that is probably your problem.

Im not a GPU guru so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think one should use Nvidia, and Ati together.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
The PSU could be the problem, but it's hard to know for sure. The TX650 is a great choice, and it definitely leaves room for future upgrades.

As for using the 3870 for graphics and the 8500 for PhysX, I think it is possible on XP. It's a definite no go on Vista though :(. Although I don't know how much using an 8500GT for PhysX will benefit you...

novasoft

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
I use WinXP 64-Bit, so it "SHOULD" work (I think) with a Ati and Nv card.. I've seen people do that with XP (lucky bastards)..
It could altso be the Driver problem because, i could start my computer when the cards didn't have the drivers installed. But, when they have their drivers installed do they drain more power then?

I agree, your drivers are fighting for control. hell, some people refuse to mix nvidia chipsets with ati cards and vice-versa. Prolly not a good idea to mix the two video cards. Although its a unique setup, it prolly won't be worth the headaches.
Kinda cool if you could get it to work I guess. If you really want a dedicated physics there's easier ways to do that.

novasoft

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
Hmm.. But i think i will buy a new PSU, for the future ;)
And i should probably ask some guys at NGOHQ, they maybe know anything about this.. I will tell you guys later if i get it to work.. :)

But one thing, i have both cards in my PC now, but i have deactivated the 8500 through the Device manager (In Safe-Mode) so i have the drivers left on my computer and it works "perfect" now.. Oh well, see how it will be in the future.. ;)

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Well you cannot run multiple display drivers at the same time in Vista.
If multiple graphics adapters are present in a system, all of them must use the same WDDM driver. If there are two graphics adapters with WDDM drivers from two different manufacturers, then Windows will disable one of them. The VGA adapter will be enabled, and the second device will be disabled.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx

This limitation is not present in XP.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hmmm

Sounds like an interesting experiment!!

+100 for that PCP&C PSU!! Your current one could cause you problems... if not now and some point in the future. :sol:

Bob

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

+1, that's an awesome deal.

novasoft

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
Yeah, that is a awesome price, but i live in sweden and I don't want to import and use credit-cards.. Damn, that deal is super cheap (compared to swedish prices) and I don't know if PCP&C even exists in sweden.. If so, then it will be probably expensive.. :O

novasoft

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
For now i've got an:

C2D E6320
2GB Kingston 667
HD 3870 PCS (Powercolor)
ACE RAW 520W
ASUS P5K
500GB Samsung..

So yeah, i think it would cover my system pretty good. ^^

TRENDING THREADS