Sign in with
Your question

AMD delivers optimum platform for virtualization with Microsoft

Last response: in CPUs
September 21, 2008 7:08:14 PM

AMD innovation once again...This must be becoming embarrassing for Intel...

http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=7445...

Quote:

SUNNYVALE, Calif. - AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the availability of robust new virtualization solutions powered by a combination of technologies from AMD and Microsoft Corp.
This new deployment model uses AMD Opteron processors with AMD Virtualization technology together with Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V to deliver significant efficiencies to enterprises large and small. Mid-market companies in particular, which have traditionally been slower to implement virtualization, can take advantage of the combined AMD and Microsoft product offering to help reduce cost, complexity and energy consumption.

Quote:
AMD and Microsoft have a history of working closely together to design industry-leading solutions that allow customers to maximize their investments and stay ahead of the changing business landscape," said Bob Kelly, corporate vice president of Microsoft Infrastructure Server Marketing. "Virtualization is here to stay, and Microsoft's portfolio of virtualization software combined with technology like AMD-V will help a business of any size realize its potential

Looking good for AMD...Very good indeed

AMD4Life!!
September 21, 2008 7:17:25 PM

Its a bird! Its a Plane!

No, its bullsh*t. You annoy me thunderman.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 21, 2008 7:34:05 PM

Good for AMD. Virtualization is fashionable these days, what with the energy savings and cheap quad-core CPUs and RAM. If this is successful and helps keep AMD alive, then I'm all for it.

That being said, virtualization does nothing for most enthusiasts and gamers. They better do something nice for us too, and soon...
September 21, 2008 7:42:11 PM

So, they're attempting to save energy now. How does that fit in with 140w TDP 9950, which performs below a 95w TDP q6600? :sarcastic: 
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 21, 2008 8:00:25 PM

LOL, good point. :) 

OK, it's not just about the energy. With virtualization you can have one physical PC instead of several, and that reduces costs. Companies with huge rooms full of servers do benefit. In my own case, I get to play with Windows Server 2008 when I need it without actually having a second PC taking up space under the desk.

I'm sure this works just fine with Intel CPUs too. I don't see Microsoft bothering to develop a solution that only supports AMD.
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2008 8:22:41 PM

It's important to help AMD maintain some competitiveness in the server space. Since Intel just released it's six core Xeon Processor and with AMD not having their own six core processor till next year, they need anything they can get. They really need to get their 45nm CPUs out faster though.
September 21, 2008 9:33:56 PM

megamanx00 said:
It's important to help AMD maintain some competitiveness in the server space. Since Intel just released it's six core Xeon Processor and with AMD not having their own six core processor till next year, they need anything they can get. They really need to get their 45nm CPUs out faster though.

4P (16 core)??!!
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron8000/MCP55/H8QME-2.cfm

Bob
September 21, 2008 9:43:23 PM

Yay! First thunderman post.. Besides that, i'm glad that AMD will still have an ace when Intel gets CSI or whatever they call it?
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2008 11:35:54 PM

This is an official AMD press release, I expected nothing but a glowing review.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 21, 2008 11:55:10 PM

blackwidow_rsa said:
Yay! First thunderman post.. Besides that, i'm glad that AMD will still have an ace when Intel gets CSI or whatever they call it?

QPI. QuickPath Interface. But don't be fooled since this is Intels first venture into such a system. They have plans for server based PCs. Quad Channel DDR3 and 4x Quickpath links as a Core i7 will have. So just with that info thats a lot of bandwidth.

Of course virtualization also depends how well it scales and that we will have to wait and see if Nehalem does scale well.

And no thunderman. Having a company buy your CPUs does not mean you innovated them to buy their CPUs.

Its like the word has no meaning to him.
!