G

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I use this forums and I love it already.

I have got some strange issues with my new-built computer at the moment. It's resetting whenever I try to run a 3D program.

My specs are:

Mobo: GigaByte MA78GM-S2H
CPU: AMD X4 9750
Graphics-card: XFX 512 D3 X 9600GT
RAM: GeiL D2 2GB 800-444 Ultra K2
PSU: CoolerMaster ExtremePower 460W

As you can see it's not really a high-end PC.
So, I built it around a month ago with no problems, ran everything fine from CoD4 to WoW. 3Dmark06 gave me around 11-12K points for it.

Then, my PC started to (i thought randomly) reset once or twice a day. And it became worse. It has now come to a point that whenever I try to launch a 3D program which needs some sort of GPU+CPU usage it resets.

Now, I have tested some parts of my computer to verify this problem with different programs, and it's behaviour is like this:

■Half Life 2: Reset when the menu is loaded.
■PCMark05: When it goes to the part with the 3D model, it resets.
■WoW: After about 30 minutes, it resets.
■3Dmark06: I couldn't test this yet because I lost my copy.
■Various CPU+RAM stress-tests: No reset.
■GPU stress-test: No reset.

Now, I think this is due to my PSU being too low for the specs of my computer, so when both the GPU and the CPU need power from it, it can't handle it and resets, but before I'm going to buy a new one, I'd like to hear some opinions.

Yeah, that PSU is a low end unit.
I would recommend upgrading it even if it is not the root cause of your problems. A quality Corsair, PCP&C, Enermax or Antec EarthWats PSU is well worth the $.

What stress tests have you ran so far? I would recommend running Memtest and prime95 to help rule out the memory and CPU as the problem.

G

I ran those tests without any problems, plus my other tests so that rules out that problem.

Just to make sure, you disabled the integrated graphics in the BIOS?
If so, I would have a hard time pinning the problem down.
If you have a friend with a more powerful PSU, maybe you could borrow it and test your system with it.

G

No, I also thought that could be a possibility, but after having used alot of fans including 2 large ones outside the case blowing lots of air inside the case I doubt it.

No, I also thought that could be a possibility, but after having used alot of fans including 2 large ones outside the case blowing lots of air inside the case I doubt it.

I could tell you the story of my 95 degree Pentium D, but I think you get the picture. Take the two minutes it takes to download and run coretemp, just to check.

I'm thinking its a power issue as well, BTW.

G

Ok, I upgraded my PSU to an Antec Earthwatts 650W, but I still get the same problems. Any thoughts?

edit: After running prim95 for a long time it gave me a hardware error.

Also, if you're interested in my coretemp results:

coretempvv9.jpg

G

Ok, just an update, I uninstalled my videocarddrivers and enabled the onboard VGA card and everything works now. Does that mean I can narrow the problem down to my 9600?

If everything is 100% stable with the 9600GT removed, there is a good possibility that it is the problem. I would recommend RMAing it and testing with the new one. If you still get problems, I would look at the Mb being the problem..