ASUS P4S800 - dead after air blast!

sidespar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I have a ASUS P4s800 with a P4 3.0E GHz prescott.

Recently I took a air compressor and blew highly compressed air all over it to get dust out. After plugging it back up, it doesn't work anymore.

Initially it turned on for about 1 minute, no screen output, then turned itself off. I turned it on again, and it did the same thing - made a funny smell.

Then it won't turn on at all. When you hit the power switch, the cpu fan shakes a little bit, but nothing happens - no fans, drives, etc.

So I tested the psu, it's good. I swapped in another CPU, no difference, so the CPU is good. Which leaves me with the mobo.

If i disconnect the ATX12V 4 pin connector, the the computer turns on and the CPU fan spins (no cpu power so it doesn't do anything of course). But when I plug this connector back in, nothing happens.

Any idea what I did when I blasted it with air? All the caps and coils look ok. No physical burn marks.

Where do I get another socket 478 mobo for my processor? I can't find the p4s800 anywhere. Anyone got one laying around? ASUS won't RMA it.

Thanks.

sidespar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Don't see any missing jumpers and I removed the battery and replaced. Still nothing.

Based on my failure, what do you think got toasted? I've got a complete electronics lab with scopes and irons, so if I knew where to look, I could replace the f'ed up component. But the mobo is so complex, I have no idea where to start. Especially without a schematic.

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Have you tried disconnecting all other components on the mobo (video card, sound card etc, memory etc) and seeing if you get any results. The problem may lie somewhere else.

beginner101

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I work with compressed air, you are lucky a piece of metal didn't fly in your face. If the air gets to a closed space it can have amazing force.
You will never know what damage you caused, its too powerful.

sidespar

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, I learned my lesson. It did get all the dust off though!

I went ahead and built a new quad-core system. It was time. Although everything else in this computer is nice and I would like to get it running for a linux media server box, so if anybody has another p4 mobo socket 478 that would work with my processor, let me know!

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS