Sign in with
Your question

Psu question

Last response: in Components
September 21, 2008 10:23:44 PM

Hey all, was looking for some advice on a last step budget build.

Parts ordered already and being shipped:
e7200 core duo
asus p5q pro
2gig gskill 800
asus radeon 4850 (single)

Old parts that i'll be using
Wd 74gig raptor
1 dvd burner
1 case fan.

Now comes the real question. I need a new power supply and I'm also on a tight budget ($50 or so) with this decision as well. The one i had in mind http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023 as you see is only 430w which seems kind of low with todays hardware. Do you think i can squeak by with this psu with the parts listed above? I plan on getting another psu in the future if i decide to add another gpu but for the time being this is about all i can afford. thanks.

More about : psu question

Related resources
September 21, 2008 10:47:02 PM

I put one of the 500's in my friends computer, Its a very solid PSU, granted its not an SLI PSU but for a single card that will do fine.

oh and awesome price when I got the one for my friend, they were $89+ S/H online, And I got his for $100 after tax here in town at staples.
September 21, 2008 10:48:31 PM

Well im kinda leaning towards the thermaltake because i can buy it locally for around that price, but I guess my real question was, is 430 watts gonna be enough juice for the parts listed above? I don't know much about psu's but even the old 20 pin psu I'm using now is 550w and it's 5 years old. 430w seems low but it's in my budget and I can just drive down the street and get it if i wanted.
September 21, 2008 10:50:22 PM

Oh and the 500w one comes with 1 6pin PCI-E and 1 6+2pin PCI-E power connectors.

I mention that because its not mentioned on the box or the websites. it just says "2 PCI-E connector"
September 21, 2008 10:51:59 PM

Fidgit said:
Well im kinda leaning towards the thermaltake because i can buy it locally for around that price, but I guess my real question was, is 430 watts gonna be enough juice for the parts listed above? I don't know much about psu's but even the old 20 pin psu I'm using now is 550w and it's 5 years old. 430w seems low but it's in my budget and I can just drive down the street and get it if i wanted.

That Thermaltake only has 18A on the +12V rail. It'll probably work, but that's cutting it close.
September 21, 2008 10:56:42 PM

Well that Thermaltake really is pushing it, (I know they overstate the reqs to be on the safe side but......)
for the 4850

Quote:
–450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

I caution you on running your psu so "theoretically" close to its limit, most don't handle it well.

September 21, 2008 11:02:24 PM

Well thx guys. I guess ill have to scope out some higher wattage psu's with better 12v output as I don't want to take any chances. Damnit :( 
!