BIOS-issues for the Diamond

Crue73

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Got stability issues with my rig when using MSI CoreCenter D.O.T. (Dynamic OC Tech) after switching to a faster CPU. And I think I don´t have the BIOS right. Can anyone help me, please?

My spec.s:
PSU 750 W
GPU EVGA GTX 285 SC
Mobo: MSI P45 Diamond, hardware OC jumpers set to 266-333 MHz, Northbridge cooled passively (should I remove the water cooling casing?)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio
CPU: Zalman cooled Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz, temp. 38-40 degr. C
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR-3 Platinum Series (WinXP32 only exploiting 3 gigs)
USB peripherals: Flightsim. controllers

K, here´s the deal. Until now I had to limp with a cane still using my old CPU in my new rig, had the OC jumpers set cautiously to 200-266 MHz, and the MSI CoreCenter gently raised the bar from 2.13 to 2.6 GHz on my Core2Duo E6400. I now installed a Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz CPU, jumpers set to 266-333 (goes all the way up to 333-400 when removing the two jumpers).

The CoreCenter, previously showing dynamic changes in temp., FSB and Clock on the old CPU, now holds a pretty steady temp. around 38-40 Degr. C, FSB 334 and Clock 3342 constantly. When activating D.O.T (sharp mode) it doesn´t seem to adapt to the varying demands, values stay the same. And when starting up FSX my pc crashes.

Not using D.O.T. seems to be stable, FSX works (Yes, leave D.O.T off, got it :sol: ), but I was wondering if anyone could look through my BIOS if I post it. There´s probably a lot to correct. I´m too chicken to use BIOS Live Update, it practically warns you not to.

Hope I got all relevant info posted.

PCI latency timer 96 (should I go 128?)

CPU feature
Execute BITsupport enabled
C1E Support disabled
Set limit CPUID MaxVal to 3 disabled

Chipset Feature
HPET enabled

Cell menu
Multistep OC booster disabled
DOT control enabled
CPU DOT step 1,2,3 1%, 3%, 5%
Intel C-state tech disabled
CPU FSB freq. 333
CPU Ratio 8
DRAM config. Auto
FSB/DRAM ratio Auto
Adjusted DRAM freq. 1333

ClockGen Tuner
CPU amplitude control 800 mV (range: 700-1000)
PCIE amplitude control 800 mV (range: 700-1000)
CPU CLK skew norm (range: norm, 100-1400PS)
MCH CLK skew norm (range: norm, 100-1400PS)

Adjusted PCI freq. default (range: def., 3, 42)

BIOS also tells me Current CPU freq. 2.66 GHz, easy math, but on desktop the CoreCenter seems to have control over frequencies (as long at D.O.T. is off).

Hope there´s a wiz out there who can help. Thanks!
Crue73

festerovic

Distinguished
I don't know your board, but I do know that manual OCing is probably easier than the windows app. Don't know what the downsides are.

Why are you using jumpers? You can set the FSB in the BIOS.

CPU ratio should be at 9 for 3.0ghz. You could try 400mhz FSB and 9x multi. for 3.6ghz, should be easy.

You didn't list any voltages. Are they all auto?

What is your RAM set at?

Why is the PCI latency timer changed? I believe it defaults to 64.

Crue73

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Didn´t seem to stumble across the individual voltages, they are probably auto. Must say the BIOS menu is a bit different that what I have been tampering with earlier (ASUS mobo). I´ll try ´n install CPUz and see the voltages. And I´ll try and turn a rock or two in the BIOS and see if I can find them.

DRAM config is auto and running at 1333 MHz.

So PCI latency is supposed to be 64 then?! My user guide states higher is better, what would the drawback be in a higher setting?

I´ll definitely add the changes you mentioned. I´ll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks a lot!

crue73

festerovic

Distinguished
Check the bios for the voltages. Auto may or may not work. Checking the VID in CPUz will give you an idea of how much voltage the chip will need to be stable at stock speeds. It this number is close to the maximum used by e8600, then you have a potentially poor overclocking chip. It will need more voltage than other people's chip of the same model.

My advice: keep everything simple. Don't fuss with alot of settings unless you know you need them. The priority should be:
Pick the CPU speed you want
Set the FSB and multi to equal the speed you want.
Make sure RAM will be running the right speed/divider. Also make sure RAM voltage is set to the good spec (not the JDEC default)
Try auto voltages, if no go, then up these:
CPU voltage
MCH voltage
VTT voltage

Crue73

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Sounds like sound advice, and I´m very grateful for your help. Now, I have committed myself to enjoy a (chick-) movie :??: with the mrs. and must be off. And I´ll have a go at it in the morning. ;)

Crue73

Crue73

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
K, removed the OC jumpers giving the system a 333-400 FSB. Increased CPU ratio to 9, but entering a FSB at 400 leaves my screens black after the initial MSI splash screen. Reduced it to 333, and it works. The D.O.T. still leaves the system unstable, after a few minutes the system freezes. The MSI CoreCenter has got advanced features where you can tweak the FSB and the voltages, but I´m not confident in that yet. And I would prefer to have it regulate the output automatically, as it did when I had the old slower CPU installed. I´ll google CoreCenter some more and see what I can dig up.

The CPU-Z states these timings. I´d appreciate it, if I could get some feedback on it, ´cause I may have to give up on CoreCenter.
DRAM freq. 555.3
FSB:DRAM 3:5
CAS latency 9
RAS/CAS delay 9
RAS precharge 9
Cycle time 24
Row Refresh Cycle time 74
Command Rate 2T

Core Voltage varies from 1.008 - 1.024

Crue73

Crue73

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Did the unthinkable and went for the live BIOS update, was sweating bullets, but it worked like a charm. And MSI CoreCenter is now obeying my every command :D . Eases CPU down to 3.09 MHz when doing nothing demanding, and going up to 3.6 when on FSX. I´ll have a peak inside BIOS one of these days and see what they´ve done. So far I´m just relieved that my rig is finally cured of hickups.

Crue73