Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

Is there a grammar checker for Outlook Express?

Talal

Talal Itani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a grammar checker for Outlook Express?
>
> Talal

No. If you have an application like Microsoft Word installed, you can use it to compose and send your email. Word includes a grammer checker.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes, "Word includes a grammer checker" but apparently not a spell checker!
The grammar checker built into Word is TERRIBLE, to say the least. The
recommendations it makes are quite funny at times.

Gregg Hill

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
Talal Itani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a grammar checker for Outlook Express?
>
> Talal

No. If you have an application like Microsoft Word installed, you can use it
to compose and send your email. Word includes a grammer checker.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No. No spell checker either unless you have office.

"Talal Itani" <titani@airmail.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a grammar checker for Outlook Express?
>
> Talal

Mac

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Talal Itani" <titani@airmail.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there a grammar checker for Outlook Express?
>
> Talal

OE 6 does not come with it's own spell check. You need Word
or an MS Office program, or you can download a free spell
check at one of these sites.

http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/ (Checks the
spelling as you type).

If you do have an appropriate program, see these links.

Spell Checking does not work in OE:
http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/OE/OE_Spell%20check.htm
Or:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm

And: An error occurred while the spelling was being checked
or: Spell Check was halted:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224176

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. IE/OE.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

While we are on the subject of grammar, I thought I would point out that
"it's" should have been "its" without the apostrophe. It shows possession;
it is not a contraction of "it is" or "it has" which would both be written
as "its."

That one gets almost everyone, because it is the exact opposite of the usual
rule.

A good site for common English errors can be found here:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/

Gregg Hill

" mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message

> "Talal Itani" <titani@airmail.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a grammar checker for Outlook Express?
>>
>> Talal
>
> OE 6 does not come with it's own spell check. You need Word
> or an MS Office program, or you can download a free spell
> check at one of these sites.
>
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
>
> http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/ (Checks the
> spelling as you type).
>
> If you do have an appropriate program, see these links.
>
> Spell Checking does not work in OE:
> http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/OE/OE_Spell%20check.htm
> Or:
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm
>
> And: An error occurred while the spelling was being checked
> or: Spell Check was halted:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224176
>

> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. IE/OE.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Should have taken out some of that unnecessary crossposting Steve

--
Peter

" mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message news:OXRJJ4pqFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> "Talal Itani" <titani@airmail.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a grammar checker for Outlook Express?
>>
>> Talal
>
> OE 6 does not come with it's own spell check. You need Word
> or an MS Office program, or you can download a free spell
> check at one of these sites.
>
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
>
> http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/ (Checks the
> spelling as you type).
>
> If you do have an appropriate program, see these links.
>
> Spell Checking does not work in OE:
> http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/OE/OE_Spell%20check.htm
> Or:
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm
>
> And: An error occurred while the spelling was being checked
> or: Spell Check was halted:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224176
>

> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. IE/OE.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Oops! I missed the apostrophe in my last post.

It should have read:

"...that "it's" should have been "its" without the apostrophe. It shows
possession; it is not a contraction of "it is" or "it has" which would both
be written as "it's." Note the apostrophe in the last word.

Gregg Hill wrote:

> Yes, "Word includes a grammer checker" but apparently not a spell
> checker!

No, it includes both.

> The grammar checker built into Word is TERRIBLE, to say the
> least. The recommendations it makes are quite funny at times.

Yes, the same is true of the grammar checker in WordPerfect, etc. In my view
all grammar checkers I've seen in any program are nearly useless. Checking
grammar well means understanding sentences well, in context, and the state
of the art is nowhere near good enough to do this.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ken,

You missed the reason that I said, "Yes, "Word includes a grammer checker"
but apparently not a spell checker!"

Look at how "grammer" is spelled.

Gregg Hill

> Gregg Hill wrote:
>
>> Yes, "Word includes a grammer checker" but apparently not a spell
>> checker!
>

> No, it includes both.
>

>> The grammar checker built into Word is TERRIBLE, to say the
>> least. The recommendations it makes are quite funny at times.
>

> Yes, the same is true of the grammar checker in WordPerfect, etc. In my
> view all grammar checkers I've seen in any program are nearly useless.
> Checking grammar well means understanding sentences well, in context, and
> the state of the art is nowhere near good enough to do this.
>
> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Please, all of you, take this out of Outlook, it is not even slightly
relevant.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Gregg Hill asked:

Gregg Hill wrote:

> Ken,
>
> You missed the reason that I said, "Yes, "Word includes a grammer
> checker" but apparently not a spell checker!"
>
> Look at how "grammer" is spelled.

Yes I did! I guess I read too fast. Thanks for explaining it and sorry you
had to.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> Gregg Hill

>> Gregg Hill wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, "Word includes a grammer checker" but apparently not a spell
>>> checker!
>>

>> No, it includes both.
>>

>>> The grammar checker built into Word is TERRIBLE, to say the
>>> least. The recommendations it makes are quite funny at times.
>>

>> Yes, the same is true of the grammar checker in WordPerfect, etc. In
>> my view all grammar checkers I've seen in any program are nearly
>> useless. Checking grammar well means understanding sentences well,
>> in context, and the state of the art is nowhere near good enough to
>> do this. --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Since I do not cross-post by default, I did not even look at the groups to
which this message got posted. I'm sorry!

Gregg Hill

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
> Please, all of you, take this out of Outlook, it is not even slightly
> relevant.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, Gregg Hill asked:
>
> | Ken,
> |
> | You missed the reason that I said, "Yes, "Word includes a grammer
> | checker" but apparently not a spell checker!"
> |
> | Look at how "grammer" is spelled.
> |
> | Gregg Hill
> |

> | "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> || No, it includes both.
> || Yes, the same is true of the grammar checker in WordPerfect, etc. In
> || my view all grammar checkers I've seen in any program are nearly
> || useless. Checking grammar well means understanding sentences well,
> || in context, and the state of the art is nowhere near good enough to
> || do this.
> || --
> || Ken Blake
> || Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Oh no, you've been warned by the net police!!!

Am I allowed to continue reading this thread after such a warning?

> Ken,
>
> You missed the reason that I said, "Yes, "Word includes a grammer checker"
> but apparently not a spell checker!"
>
> Look at how "grammer" is spelled.
>
> Gregg Hill

>> Gregg Hill wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, "Word includes a grammer checker" but apparently not a spell
>>> checker!
>>

>> No, it includes both.
>>

>>> The grammar checker built into Word is TERRIBLE, to say the
>>> least. The recommendations it makes are quite funny at times.
>>

>> Yes, the same is true of the grammar checker in WordPerfect, etc. In my
>> view all grammar checkers I've seen in any program are nearly useless.
>> Checking grammar well means understanding sentences well, in context, and
>> the state of the art is nowhere near good enough to do this.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Only once you take this out of the Outlook groups - we don't need to be
involved in this food fight.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Alan Smith asked:

| Oh no, you've been warned by the net police!!!
|
| Am I allowed to continue reading this thread after such a warning?
|

| "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
|| Ken,
|| You missed the reason that I said, "Yes, "Word includes a grammer
|| checker" but apparently not a spell checker!"
|| Look at how "grammer" is spelled.
|| Gregg Hill
|| "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
||| No, it includes both.
||| Yes, the same is true of the grammar checker in WordPerfect, etc.
||| In my view all grammar checkers I've seen in any program are nearly
||| useless. Checking grammar well means understanding sentences well,
||| in context, and the state of the art is nowhere near good enough to
||| do this.
||| --
||| Ken Blake
||| Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Should I feel admonished by you Net Police people?

After putting the Police Uniform on and checking the rules for stopping
freedom in posting Milly Staples said:

> Only once you take this out of the Outlook groups - we don't need to be
> involved in this food fight.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, Alan Smith asked:
>
> | Oh no, you've been warned by the net police!!!
> |
> | Am I allowed to continue reading this thread after such a warning?
> |

> | "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> || Ken,
> || You missed the reason that I said, "Yes, "Word includes a grammer
> || checker" but apparently not a spell checker!"
> || Look at how "grammer" is spelled.
> || Gregg Hill
> || "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alan,

Don't be a jerk. Cross-posting is a pain in the ass when someone blasts a
bunch newsgroups with the exact same message (or unrelated newsgroups). It
is kind of like spam!

Gregg Hill

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message

> Should I feel admonished by you Net Police people?
>

> After putting the Police Uniform on and checking the rules for stopping
> freedom in posting Milly Staples said:
>

>> Only once you take this out of the Outlook groups - we don't need to be
>> involved in this food fight.
>>
>> --
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
>> unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
>> reading.
>>
>> After furious head scratching, Alan Smith asked:
>>
>> | Oh no, you've been warned by the net police!!!
>> |
>> | Am I allowed to continue reading this thread after such a warning?
>> |

>> | "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message

> Should I feel admonished by you Net Police people?
>

> After putting the Police Uniform on and checking the rules for stopping
> freedom in posting Milly Staples said:
>

>> Only once you take this out of the Outlook groups - we don't need to be
>> involved in this food fight.
>>
>> --
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
>> unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
>> reading.
>>
>> After furious head scratching, Alan Smith asked:
>>
>> | Oh no, you've been warned by the net police!!!
>> |
>> | Am I allowed to continue reading this thread after such a warning?
>> |

>> | "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>

>yes

TRENDING THREADS