Want to overclock, what is limiting my Crysis fps?

dwthewhiteness

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
My system:

OS - Windows 7 beta
CPU - Intel Core i7 920
GPU - 2 EVGA Geforce GTX 260's in SLI, stock frequencies (core/shader/mem) are 626/1350/1053
RAM - 6 GB DDR3 1600

I'm running Crysis on all very high settings, with full AA, at 1920x1080 (I know, the first thing everyone wants to say is just turn down the settings). I'm also running the Triple C Pack mod. When I run the CPU or GPU test .bin files in the game folder, my average FPS never breaks 21, and going as low as 18. When running either of these tests, my CPU usage never breaks 25%, and my RAM never passes 66%, which leads me to believe that both of those are doing just fine (and this is with other processes and windows open in the background even.

Because of this, I'm led to believe that my GPU's are slowing me down, and that I should overclock those if I want to achieve any reasonable FPS. But first I thought I would check here with the experts and make sure I'm not missing anything, and get everyone else's input.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I'm doing a search right now, but I doubt you're CPU is multithreading the game. Make sure you have the latest patch installed as multi cpus weren't introduced till patch 1.2. If you haven't OC the cpu, then you're trying to run the game on one cpu at 2.66ghz. Make sure all your GPU drivers are upto date also.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Crysis uses only 2 cores. Your i7 has 4 cores=8threads. 2/8=25%. First thing: OC ur cpu to min. 3.5ghz. Second thing: buy ssd drive. Third one: put crysis on two different cores(not threads). Your gpus are fine, however, you could always do better with 2x4870x2:D

ssd won't really improve performance, just load times in levels

dwthewhiteness

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks for the ideas guys. Yeah, my AA is at 16xQ, and yes, I am patched to 1.2. I wasn't aware though that Crysis only used 2 cores, I'll definitely ramp that up to 3.5ghz or so and then post my findings. The RAM is fine too, probably?

Also, Syzmek says to put Crysis on two cores. How do I do that?