azotus

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I have a brand new L1N64-sli ws/b board and I am trying to use two Opteron 2346he processors. and it wont post.

Asus tech support tell me that they think that the processor is not supported. But there cpu support list does contain a 2346 (doesn't say "he" model). But from what I can tell from the AMD site. they only make 2346 processors in an "he" format!

Tried all the other trix - run one processor, no memory and so on, but wont even make it to beep the case speaker.

To throw another line of doubt in there, some guy on newegg. review for this motherboad says that this processor needs a bios update to run quad core. even though asus says that quad core is supported.

Can anyone make any sense of this.
Thanks in advance
Azotus

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
hi !

do a bios update. mobo manufacturer's always put the supported cpu-s to the latest bios version. maybe your bios is (too) old..

osrk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
You're board is dead or your RAM is ****. Are you using ECC registered DDR2?

The reason I know this is because I have a L1N64-ws/b that posts fine with 8 gigs of kingston DDR 2 ECC registered and two 8346HE CPU's (the exact same processor except with more HT links that are not used). Also I'm running it on the 501 BIOS (the initial release). Also Asus tech support is a bit flaky.

I guess i'm just lucky *knock on wood*.

azotus

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks for posting!

I checked the RAM - it is actually 2G DDR 2 ECC Kingston swapped out all four sticks. none worked. The revision (bios) on the board is 1.01g, but the (very small) corner sticker shows 0401, I think that's an update. But the Asus site shows 5.06 update. So now I have been all over trying to find a computer shop that "loan" a compatible processor to flash the bios with. Guess what... No luck. Hate to buy a CPU just to flash with!
One final thing, when trying to check the numbers on the bios chip itself (next to the SATA) there was a X marked on the chip in black marker. On a black chip it wasn't noticeable until I looked for the numbers. Don't know if it means anything or not.

Thanks again
Azotus.

osrk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
No it should post fine with your motherboard without a flash. There is no BIOS version 401 the first version was 501. Also your CPU is supported from day one because it's on the Asus CPU compatibility list. 1.01g is the board revision.

I also have 8 gig of the kingston memory. I finally booted the board today for more then 30seconds because i recieved my heatsinks. The SMARTFAN programming is horrible. It only has two speeds full or off.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I checked the RAM - it is actually 2G DDR 2 ECC Kingston swapped out all four sticks. none worked.
ECC is not enough. The modules must be Registered DIMMs.
There is no BIOS version 401 the first version was 501. Also your CPU is supported from day one because it's on the Asus CPU compatibility list.
ASUS CPU support list shows the minimum BIOS version as 0401. The 'initial' or 'first' release is not always the oldest BIOS that ships. It means "this is the first BIOS version we are releasing for download". Also, being on the CPU support list does not mean it was supported from the initial BIOS. New CPU models are added to the list as support for them are added to newer BIOS versions.

osrk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
This motherboard is basically revision 2 of the L1N64 WS. The B added indicates support for quad cores out the box. The board I received originally had the 501 BIOS on it. The number 401 is a number I'm assuming he's pulling off a sticker located near CPU socket 0.

Due to the complexity of the board the failure rate is higher then most of others (two northbridges, plus two cpu's). It sounds like he's using the same RAM as me so I'm assuming it is registered. If it's not then that's his problem.

Also there have been reports of the board not working with weak power supplies. A full inventory of components you're using would be helpful.

azotus

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
The Mojo :)

Mobo -Asus L1n64-SLI WS/B Dual Opteron 2000 Series motherboard
Processors - 2 - AMD 2346He processors Revison BA
Ram - 8GB Total - 2GB ECC DDR2 667 PC2-5400 RAM Kingston 240p DIMM KTM2726K2/4G
Power Supply - ABS TaganBZ 1100w (I think its nuclear powered)
CPU Coolers - 2 - Dynatron F558
Case - Coolmaster Cosmos 1000 ATX full Tower
Video Cards - 2 - Asus EN9800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCIe2 x16 SLI mode
OS Drive - Western Digital 160Gb IDE ATA 100
Work Drives - 2 - Seagate Baracuda 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Raid 0
Optical Drive - Asus 20X DVD Burner
Optical Drive #2 - Pioneer BDR-202 Blu-Ray Disc/DVD/CD Burner

I had so much fun putting this rig together, its just been a downer having it not post.
Asus has phone me back saying that they will take the board back and update the bios and check for post. After that if it still doesn't work I guess I will go after the processors. The only thing that bugs me about that is that Asus website claims that this board runs Opteron 2000 series processor, which 2346he are!

RMA sucks

Thanks again
Azotus

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Yes, you should definitely replace all components before the incompatible RAM you have. Socket F (1207) Opteron quad-core requires registered modules. Those Kingston modules are unbuffered, not registered. I don't know how many times this needs to be spelled-out for you.

azotus

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
OK THEN..... Didn't realize that this would make you hot around the collar.

The Reason I didn't run after the RAM being the issue is because the case speaker didn't acknowledge the boot up. AS I AM SURE you already know, the system does self-checks on posting.

One beep = VGA detected, Quick boot disable, No keyboard
One long beep, followed by two short beeps = No memory
One long beep, followed by three short beeps = No VGA
One long beep, followed by four short beeps = Component failure

During the post there was no sound from the case speaker at all. Which tends to point to a processor or mobo issue because its the must be online for the rest of the tests. Maybe it was wrong to assume that if it was a RAM problem, it would have acted like a no memory issue. To be sure though, one of the first tests that I did was pull all the memory completely to see if I would get any beeps at all. No sound. I even pulled everything from the box to see if there would be any sound from the speaker. None. I pulled the speaker off my other rig so I know that it works.

But since I do honestly appreciate your help, I will make sure to get Registered memory. and try that first.

Thanks once again, but chill out dude.
Azotus

P.S. I had originally thought that this RAM was registered, but after looking at the Kingston website, it certainly is not.

azotus

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I have received my registered RAM and installed it. The machine booted right up.

Thankyou - tcsenter & osrk for all your help.

Azotus

d35i9n

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
ok so just to get this straight there is two of you here now running two quad core cpu's in your l1n64-ws asus boards?

I ask because I have 2 fx-74's in my l1n64 and might upgrade sometime because it is a server and could take advantage of adding another 4 cores but the the last time i was researching there wasn't anyone who had tried and im not the type to risk it..

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
L1N64-WS was part of AMD's failed Quad FX enthusiast platform, which was quickly scrapped due to disappointing performance for the extreme cost. This board will reportedly support 2000 Series dual-core Opterons, but not quad core.

It was replaced by the WS/B model, which fully supports quad Opterons but no longer supports the older FX models.

BANKROBBER

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
i am having issues regarding my motherboard/bios too!

system...;

2x opteron quad 2378 cpu
l1n64-sli ws/b
8 gb kingston kvr667d2d8p5/2g registered ecc (4x2gb)
1200w tough power psu
74gb raptor
2x 9800gx2 graphics.

i have tried everything to get this thing working.i have an l1n64-sli ws board here also.i updated the bios to take quad core and it wont post either now.i can only assume it is the cpu's as it has identical problem to both boards!having been a big fan of asus from day 1,i have never had so many problems to get something working.my 1st board has worked flawless for almost 2 years,i need to find a way to get the bios flashed back so i can run dual cores (fx-74) again...but i cant get a post on either mobo!
any way to ressurect a naff bios???

ROB

flow_cfd

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Hi to everybody, I'm new of that forum .
I've got an used asus L1N64-WS, mounted barcelona 2358SE with one module ram ecc-reg and, as expected, system don't beep nor boot at all.

I've found those links on the internet:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/7692003c-ebcc-4072-babc-34ea3e7394da/ASUS-L1N64-SLI-ASUS-WS-B-0401
http://www.esnips.com/doc/68f16563-29e2-4bd5-a997-bb87746c8c00/ASUS-L1N64-SLI-WS-0301

They provide two modded bioses. I understand that the 301 version has to be flashed using an old opteron together with ecc-unbuffered dimms. The 401 version seems to be suitable for L1N64-WS boards to be "converted" into L1N64-WS/B versions. Any opinion would be welcomed.

Thanks

FL

BANKROBBER

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
hi all,(update)
gave up on the l1n64-sli ws as it just wasnt going to happen!
so i got hold of the ws/b version......and still i have issues regarding the 2378 quads.they just dont post the mobo....are there any bios that support my cpu's?

anyway,i needed to get a comp up and running so i bought a tyan n6650w(2915-e) with sas.anyway,i hadnt reinstalled vista,just changed mobo and rebooted.withing 15mins the comp had sorted all the drivers etc and was running great in vista ultimate.however.....my hdisk failed so i tried to reinstall.vista just wont install and i get bsod every time it reboots.i have noticed that my ram is now only showing 8gb instead of 16,so i am kinda thinking i have ram slot down.and on bios boot i get 'system configuration data read error'........
apart from hoping anyone can help,i just want to express my dissapointment,despite all the hype and promises from the manufacturers,these quad core setups are seeming to be fragile at best and in some cases alot of un-needed time wasting is required to confirm that its not you,but the 'component' that has failed!

ROB