Source for cheap 2.5 IDE (PATA) drive

mkny13

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Looking to replace the drive on an old Dell XPS m140. Newegg and pricegrabber are usually my first stops for hardware but they're proving unhelpful for such dated hardware. All I require is 30+ GB, preferably 7200 RPM but 5400 is acceptable. Anyone care to recommend a good source (besides Ebay, which I'm already prowling)? THanks.

mkny13

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I figured any IDE/PATA drive would work, haven't concerned myself with ATA-X specs--should I?
Will you buy some type of 44-pin to 40-pin adaptor to connect the drive?

Edit: I'd be more concerned by the connector itself than the ATA specification. I checked the image of the Hitachi drive on Newegg and it might work fine. Compare it with the connector on your current drive to make sure they are the same.

mkny13

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Obviously I'm more familiar with desktop drives than laptop ones--I thought IDE was all that mattered in terms of matching connectors. Unfortunately, the drive I'm replacing is actually in my girlfriend's computer and I'm trying to surprise her, so taking it out to compare is probably not an option.

mkny13

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
So anyway, back to my orginal question: anyone have any suggestions for sources cheaper than newegg? Or are they just not to be had anywhere for less than $60?