my reputation depends on it

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
thought i start a topic about the nvidia bad 8800gt to the 9800gtx roomers or fud as some are calling it (ovaltineplease), it all stems from the inquirers artical (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/nvidia-g92s-g94-reportedly) now you can choose to believe it or you can call it fud but what im saying is us (the techheads) the ppl that give friends, family and anyone that will listen advice we tell them what to buy and what not to buy, we give out computer related advice on software and most of us do it for free and that's our choice or burden it depends on how you look at it but when i here roomers like this i choose to believe not becouse i blindly believe every thing i hear but because my reputation depends on it so until the dust settles, i will not recommend any nvidia gpu's from the 8800gt to the 280gtx and that's my choice

sailer

Splendid

I learned long ago to never bet my reputation on rumors or even reported, but suspicious, news. As for what the Inq reports, no matter what they write, it stays in the very doubtful range. Sure, they get things right occasionally, but you could just as well flip a coin and call heads or tails as to believe anything they say is true or not.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
i find its always better to stick to the side of cation plus i believe if a company say a problem with a chip is going to cost 300mil you can bet its going to cost 2-3 times more, god can you see the investors run if they tell them closer to 1 billion

What Id like to know is, the basic rumor, and not just from the INQ, is its the solder. Now, if thats the case, or even if not, why would certain cards be made at 1 place and not others? Wouldnt they all be pretty much done at 1 place? Most AIBs just slap stickers, it comes from 1 maybe 2 assemblies, so, if it effects 1 group of cards, itll effect most , if not all. That being said, the mobile parts do heat and cool more often than desktops. They run hotter on average, and arent on as long, so who really knows. I think its worth mention to some people, tho I wouldnt go around telling everyone

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
"UR INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY"

but bad reputation can and will hurt a lot. i dont think the situation is as bad as it may seem but this is gona destroy whatever goodwill nvidia has., even if the rumors are proven wrong.

i wonder wat concrum has to say on this

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

On a troll side, my left eye ball just imploded.

On a more serious note, its a risk we take mate. While the dust don't settles i won't recommend either. But the machines i usually "make" have very good air flow and a good PSU. lets hope this problem wont surface.

While Charlie was in Hong Kong I believe it was, he and an nVidia rep got into an actual fight. Hes never had any love for the green team whatsoever, and the fight, and this has sent him on a mission. True or not, we shouldnt hope bad misfortune on nVidia, its partners, nor the buyers, we consumers.

romulus47plus1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008

Yeah, we need the competition, for then only comes improvement.

ro3dog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
This is my thing,we all float through different sites to see what is going on in the world of IT,how many sites have we seen long threads with Nvidia cards giving trouble on a grand scale.We if none ,then I can,t just take the word on one site.I am more into ATI but to be fare to Nvidia a benefit of dought needs to be given.Of all the folks out there we should know better because we have a community that we can rely on.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

you could look at it this way, would nvidia not take charlie to court for Slander if there was no truth in it after all it would hit there profits

@rangers:
First of all, man, use commas and dots, it helps :)

I don't usually trust the Inq 100%, but some times they are telling the truth, and before anyone else too. That's what happens when they just publish without bothering to double-check the sources.

Based on nVidia's recent financial report, it's obvious that there is some truth there. It's just not clear to me which products are affected. Read this for example, it does mention a "production glitch":
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...1B4-5EBF-4B15-840D-F15622F4CEFB}&siteid=yhoof

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Nvidia's stock will tank, the execs will know if this problem is real or not... if it's not a super-huge mess like the Inquirer is making it out to be they'll load up on company stock once it tanks... and laugh all the way to the bank. Thanks Charlie!

Rodney, I think you've just found the solution. NVidia stock did tank. It lost %50 in the past month or so. Maybe we can just see what insiders are doing (they have to file with the SEC when they buy or sell). If they are selling, then Charlie is probably right. If they are buying, we should buy too :)

Edit: OK, I checked.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=NVDA
In the past 6 months, NVidia 's CEO did about 25 transactions with NVDA stock. All of them sales. All right, from now on I"m only recommending AMD cards.

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Seems like ever since the 4850 came out, I have heard nothing but people bashing the crap out of nvidia. Sure the 4850 uncovered the fact that nvidia had overpriced cards, but when you have the best stuff and no one can compare, you can do that...(see iPhone).

Now we have some competition and as such, GPU prices have dropped like crazy. Isn't this what everyone wanted in the first place; cheaper, better stuff?

Stop trying to flame nvidia and put them outa business because then we are just back at the beginning.

I have an nvidia card and it works great and im sure ATI cards do. When I plan on buying a new computer, I hope the competition is still around so i can snag a really nice card for an excellent price.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
did any1 check out my link?

Nvidia swings to 2Q loss, hurt by charge

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D92H09M00.htm

"For the three months ended July 27, the company reported a loss of $120.9 million, or 22 cents per share, down from a profit of $172.7 million, or 29 cents per share, in the same period a year earlier."

i don't bash nvidia, but its REAL funny how the nvidia fanboys went to their hiding places after ati opened their can of whoop@$$ after what... 1 1/2 years? 2 years? with the few exceptions... i used to run through these forums long before i joined them, all i ever saw was ati bashing up until march/april when the 4850/4870 was announced...fanboyism gets annoying

do i sound like im contradiciting myself? im not bashing nvidia, just the nvidia fanboys... hmm... >.>

I own an nVidia card. Will be buying a ATI soon. Prefer ATI, but I want the best I can afford,period. ATI has taken it for almost 2 years now, and now its nVidias turn. Its just the way it goes. Was I encouraged when ATI released the 4xxx series? Hellz yes! Am I encouraged that nVidia wont any longer sit on their thumbs and react to ATIs butt kicking? Again, emphatically yes! Competition is good. The main problem here is, after all this time, certain buyers of nVidia cards are just tired of em, and ATI fans, and those who prefer them, have waited soooo long, yes, youll see some flaming, waiting all this time. What I really, really, REALLY wanna see...AMD take back the cpu crown. Now then thered be some noise heheh

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
rep is king... i mean look at the bad vibes creative got after their driver problems and then "legally raping" some guy who modded the drivers so they worked on vista...