Hi Everybody,

While 'add/removing' programs, I removed a 'shortcut' application and now my
(blue keyboard keys) "Fn" + 'mute/volume -/volume +/screen dimmer/screen
darkener' keys no longer function.

As I was trying to rid my OS of any programs that might be related to a
number of trojans and malware I am afflicted with, and as I didn't readily
find any info on the 'shortcut' program, I carelessly removed it.

Of note it seems some of the other blue shortcut keys still work, as at
least the 'scroll lock' one still activates its indicator light. Maybe even
the F7, F12, Pause and Break shortcuts work as well, but I don't know what
they're for and haven't tried them.

Not knowing how to restore the shortcut program and since my XP Home came
already installed and I don't have the XP Home CD, I'm hoping that either
using add new prgrams/windows components might restore the shortcut program,
etc.

Regards,

'Stupid' Steven

Malke

Stupid Steven wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> While 'add/removing' programs, I removed a 'shortcut' application and
> now my (blue keyboard keys) "Fn" + 'mute/volume -/volume +/screen
> dimmer/screen darkener' keys no longer function.
>
> As I was trying to rid my OS of any programs that might be related to
> a number of trojans and malware I am afflicted with, and as I didn't
> readily find any info on the 'shortcut' program, I carelessly removed
> it.
>
> Of note it seems some of the other blue shortcut keys still work, as
> at
> least the 'scroll lock' one still activates its indicator light.
> Maybe even the F7, F12, Pause and Break shortcuts work as well, but I
> don't know what they're for and haven't tried them.
>
> Not knowing how to restore the shortcut program and since my XP Home
> came already installed and I don't have the XP Home CD, I'm hoping
> that either using add new prgrams/windows components might restore the
> shortcut program, etc.

Since you mention FN keys, I assume you have a laptop. Go to the laptop
mftr.'s website and look for tech support for your specific model
laptop. Download drivers for the keyboard and/or special laptop
software they have. Install these.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Thanks for the pointer. I should heve guessed that, but as I failed to
recall the app's name (Hotkey utility), seeing their "Sony Notebook Utilities
for Microsoft® Windows® XP", I had no idea that found it contained (among
other things) the needed utility which did the trick.

Although I did learned all I didn't want to know about 'all' my shortcut
keys, Sony's onboard help & support fails to mention anything whatsoever
about the "Fn" key, "hotkey" or "hotkey utility".

Notes (Alright, Rant):

Since Sony's website affords no search engine for download files, it was
just luck finding the least bit of info on the file's download page regarding
the "Sony Notebook Utility" which "see more" finally divulged that it
contained a "hotkey utility".

Not surprizingly, Sony doesn;t tell you that your purchased music is no
longer fully accessible when you dump their buggy overtly proprietary
SonicStage.

Not surprizingly does Sony offer anything more than "re-install" when you
ask for support for all the issues brought about when their OEM software
comes w/o the hotfixes available even before the laptop was manufactured.

Not surprizingly even after it was sued, NewDotNet continues plaguing
unknowing users of RealPlayer, etc., as it neither uninstalls do anything
except cause popups regarding its missing RUNDLL at every startup.

Although a dynomite screen, who says you can't make a silk purse out of a
sow's ear? No answer required. And why didn''t I listen to my friends
before buying a Sony? See answer below.

Stupid Steven

"Malke" wrote:

> Stupid Steven wrote:
>
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > While 'add/removing' programs, I removed a 'shortcut' application and
> > now my (blue keyboard keys) "Fn" + 'mute/volume -/volume +/screen
> > dimmer/screen darkener' keys no longer function.
> >
> > As I was trying to rid my OS of any programs that might be related to
> > a number of trojans and malware I am afflicted with, and as I didn't
> > readily find any info on the 'shortcut' program, I carelessly removed
> > it.
> >
> > Of note it seems some of the other blue shortcut keys still work, as
> > at
> > least the 'scroll lock' one still activates its indicator light.
> > Maybe even the F7, F12, Pause and Break shortcuts work as well, but I
> > don't know what they're for and haven't tried them.
> >
> > Not knowing how to restore the shortcut program and since my XP Home
> > came already installed and I don't have the XP Home CD, I'm hoping
> > that either using add new prgrams/windows components might restore the
> > shortcut program, etc.
> >
> Since you mention FN keys, I assume you have a laptop. Go to the laptop
> mftr.'s website and look for tech support for your specific model
> laptop. Download drivers for the keyboard and/or special laptop
> software they have. Install these.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

Stupid Steven wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. I should heve guessed that, but as I failed
> to recall the app's name (Hotkey utility), seeing their "Sony Notebook
> Utilities
> for Microsoft® Windows® XP", I had no idea that found it contained
> (among other things) the needed utility which did the trick.

You're welcome.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers