Fn key's shortcut functions 'lost'

Hi Everybody,

While 'add/removing' programs, I removed a 'shortcut' application and now my
(blue keyboard keys) "Fn" + 'mute/volume -/volume +/screen dimmer/screen
darkener' keys no longer function.

As I was trying to rid my OS of any programs that might be related to a
number of trojans and malware I am afflicted with, and as I didn't readily
find any info on the 'shortcut' program, I carelessly removed it.

Of note it seems some of the other blue shortcut keys still work, as at
least the 'scroll lock' one still activates its indicator light. Maybe even
the F7, F12, Pause and Break shortcuts work as well, but I don't know what
they're for and haven't tried them.

Not knowing how to restore the shortcut program and since my XP Home came
already installed and I don't have the XP Home CD, I'm hoping that either
using add new prgrams/windows components might restore the shortcut program,
etc.

Regards,

'Stupid' Steven
3 answers Last reply
More about shortcut functions lost

    Stupid Steven wrote:

    > Hi Everybody,
    >
    > While 'add/removing' programs, I removed a 'shortcut' application and
    > now my (blue keyboard keys) "Fn" + 'mute/volume -/volume +/screen
    > dimmer/screen darkener' keys no longer function.
    >
    > As I was trying to rid my OS of any programs that might be related to
    > a number of trojans and malware I am afflicted with, and as I didn't
    > readily find any info on the 'shortcut' program, I carelessly removed
    > it.
    >
    > Of note it seems some of the other blue shortcut keys still work, as
    > at
    > least the 'scroll lock' one still activates its indicator light.
    > Maybe even the F7, F12, Pause and Break shortcuts work as well, but I
    > don't know what they're for and haven't tried them.
    >
    > Not knowing how to restore the shortcut program and since my XP Home
    > came already installed and I don't have the XP Home CD, I'm hoping
    > that either using add new prgrams/windows components might restore the
    > shortcut program, etc.

    Since you mention FN keys, I assume you have a laptop. Go to the laptop
    mftr.'s website and look for tech support for your specific model
    laptop. Download drivers for the keyboard and/or special laptop
    software they have. Install these.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks for the pointer. I should heve guessed that, but as I failed to
    recall the app's name (Hotkey utility), seeing their "Sony Notebook Utilities
    for Microsoft® Windows® XP", I had no idea that found it contained (among
    other things) the needed utility which did the trick.

    Although I did learned all I didn't want to know about 'all' my shortcut
    keys, Sony's onboard help & support fails to mention anything whatsoever
    about the "Fn" key, "hotkey" or "hotkey utility".

    Notes (Alright, Rant):

    Since Sony's website affords no search engine for download files, it was
    just luck finding the least bit of info on the file's download page regarding
    the "Sony Notebook Utility" which "see more" finally divulged that it
    contained a "hotkey utility".

    Not surprizingly, Sony doesn;t tell you that your purchased music is no
    longer fully accessible when you dump their buggy overtly proprietary
    SonicStage.

    Not surprizingly does Sony offer anything more than "re-install" when you
    ask for support for all the issues brought about when their OEM software
    comes w/o the hotfixes available even before the laptop was manufactured.

    Not surprizingly even after it was sued, NewDotNet continues plaguing
    unknowing users of RealPlayer, etc., as it neither uninstalls do anything
    except cause popups regarding its missing RUNDLL at every startup.

    Although a dynomite screen, who says you can't make a silk purse out of a
    sow's ear? No answer required. And why didn''t I listen to my friends
    before buying a Sony? See answer below.

    Stupid Steven

    Stupid Steven wrote:

    > Thanks for the pointer. I should heve guessed that, but as I failed
    > to recall the app's name (Hotkey utility), seeing their "Sony Notebook
    > Utilities
    > for Microsoft® Windows® XP", I had no idea that found it contained
    > (among other things) the needed utility which did the trick.

    You're welcome.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers