Sign in with
Your question

Need help with diagnosis!

Last response: in Components
September 22, 2008 2:37:02 PM

I've just become a statistic! On friday evening i purchased the parts for a new rig, I will outline below.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 45nm
4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 800 (4x1024)
Asus P5Q-E Socket 775 Intel P45 + ICH10R
Dual 7200RPM Seagate Barracudas (in RAID0)
EVGA Geforce 8800GT

Initially, windows installed with no problems (I have built a slipstreamed copy with the ICH10R drivers included so it can detect the raid0 config). Once windows was installed, all drivers installed with no trouble. At this point I went out to my network file share and began copying over my photos, movies etc. This was where the horror began. Every single file I copied from the network had CRC errors, photos were showing abberations etc.

So, I think it's the RAM.
memtest86 runs for 10 hours with no problems at all.

So, I think processor.
I ran Prime for 3 hours with no failure on the setting that uses the medium amount of ram (128mb). No errors, interestingly if I run it on the setting that uses the most ram (1792MB i believe) it crashes instantly.

I think harddrive. So I swap in a known working good sata2 drive from my old rig. Same problem with CRC errors after file copies from network and sometimes even with large downloads from the web.

So I think motherboard. I exchange for a new one of same type. The problem is still occurring. While I was at it, I exchanged my EVGA video card for a better one, on a whim, Zotac GeForce 9800GTX 512MB.

So, now I have a PC that boots fine, runs every burn in test I can think of seemingly fine(Except for the odd prime max memory test), but corrupts files that I copy from the network. I'd assume it was a problem with the router, but my other computer does not show the same problem. Just for kicks I plugged in a ieee1394 connection instead of ethernet and performed the same tests and the problem still occurs.

Could I have a bad CPU? Or perhaps a bad L1/L2 cache? Heat wise, the processor is running between 25-28 idle, 35-42 under heavy load. No BSODs, no crashes.

Can anyone offer me a next step? I don't have another intel 775 processor to test with unfortunately.

Thanks & Regards,
Chris

More about : diagnosis

September 22, 2008 2:54:41 PM

If you're only having problems copying over the network, have you eliminated cabling issues? One flaky cable connection can cause that.

Run netstat and see if you're having problems with network checksums and all that.

If that's not happening, how well does your rig run games and all that stuff? If it's a local issue, installation of a big game off DVD, updating that, and running it, should also give you problems whose error messages may be more helpful.
September 22, 2008 2:58:19 PM

Ok I may have missed it.. But have you tried it in vice versa. And then see if you get the errors on the other computer.
Related resources
September 22, 2008 3:06:51 PM

I think cabling is out of the picture as I've seen the problem in both ieee 1394 (firewire) and ethernet file copies. I will install Crysis tonight from DVD and give it a shot.

Noobe I haven't copied anything from the bad rig to my old one, but I do know the problem does not occur on my old rig(ruling out the router), as I've downloaded some sizable files and copied to / from my laptop from it during setup with no problems.

Thanks for the help guys, any other ideas anyone?
September 22, 2008 3:16:31 PM

If you're still getting CRC errors after swapping hard drives and going from RAID to non-raid, it's a SATA cable or controller issue.

You could try non-raid SATA drivers and see if that's it.

What's the system log say?

If swapping to a known good drive does not work, and you're sure both your network and sata cables and connections are okay, then it's looking like the mainboard. You could run read/write diagnostics, which should fail in that case.
September 22, 2008 3:25:01 PM

So, I think processor.
I ran Prime for 3 hours with no failure on the setting that uses the medium amount of ram (128mb). No errors, interestingly if I run it on the setting that uses the most ram (1792MB i believe) it crashes instantly.

Ram?
September 22, 2008 3:52:37 PM

SATA cables/controller: I've swapped motherboards, which included the cabling, so I don't think I've managed to get 4 bad SATA cables.

RAM: I'm wondering about this myself.. memtest86+ showed the RAM was fine, but Prime failed when set to use max memory.

The only part I haven't swapped at this point is the CPU, but it's just hard to believe I got a bad one, and that it's only corrupting large files when transferred over the network....
September 22, 2008 4:14:12 PM

I'd would think it's the network driver, or network adapter protocols perhaps.

But if your saying memory, try using 2gb rather then 4gb.

Also, if your not using a paging file, try using one. I do recall one time, I had a problem unzipping a big file. Turns out since I didn't use a page file, I couldn't extract the all the files in it. I could only do portions of it at a time. Once I realized that, I put the page file back on, and it worked without a hitch, and I use 4gb on vista 64.
September 22, 2008 4:25:21 PM

I'll see if stepping down to 2GB of ram has any effect on the problem this evening when I get home.
September 22, 2008 4:47:58 PM

yardik said:
I'll see if stepping down to 2GB of ram has any effect on the problem this evening when I get home.

I did not see it mentioned but check to make sure your voltage for RAM is set to spec in BIOS. I have seen the SPD set it at 1.8 when your shinny new sticks are rated for 2.1 and this could help cause errors.

You could also try slowing down your RAM or increasing the timings. I had an issue before where some bad RAM tested ok but corrupted data at max rated settings. I slowed it down and it ran fine. Then RMA'd and new batch had no errors at max rated speed.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Medic....out!

September 22, 2008 5:22:28 PM

Medic.. thanks, I'll give that a shot too.
!