how long until upgrade is needed?

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
i would just like to know how long my pc will last before i need to upgrade anything. my pc specs are:

intel core 2 quad Q9300@2.5 GHz ( i know i can overclock)

3GB ram at 800 MHz

2 nVidia 9800GT in SLI (overclockable)

and 320GB HDD

but i know that size HDD will last forever for me. but my proccessor and ram and graphics is what i would like to know about. thanks for any help/recommendations.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I think your system will last for at least a year, probably closer to 2 - 3, depending on how games progress. I could be wrong, but I think we're starting to get to a point where graphics in games are quickly becoming as realistic as you can get, but then again there is still raytracing. Really it depends what resolution you play at. I mean, your current system can probably handle almost anything until you hit 2560x1600 (Crysis being the exception of course). If you're gaming at 1920x1200 or below, then my initial estimate stands, otherwise if you're going for bigger and better, then you'll need more power. And if you do intend to go for the extreme lengths of power, size and quality, then I'd suggest waiting until winter comes around and everyone's got their next generation out and ready.