P5Q not recognizing my hd

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Computer
  • HD
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 22, 2008 3:41:43 PM

i was trying to finish my build yesterday when i kept getting a hard drive not found while booting my computer. i have the asus p5q pro and i was using a seagate 250 gb sata drive. ive read up on switching the sats cable to make sure its not bad,made sure all the cables were in correctly,im a computer noob:p  so im basically lost right now....any idea why it wont recognize the hd maybe the hd itself is bad????

More about : p5q recognizing

a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 4:01:57 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Set the correct boot order.
Make sure there is power to the hard drive and a SATA cable connected.
If the hard drive previously had a foreign operating system, delete that partition externally before installing Windows.
Make sure the bios can see the drive.
Try a different SATA port on the motherboard.
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 5:21:20 PM

Well I cant tell you for sure because Im not that competent but Im getting the same message although my drive works fine. Since I wasnt that bothered with that I made a theory for myself that its the raid controller that sends this message because theres no disks in raid. Maybe lame but gives me peace of mind :)  The questions would be: Is the drive recogenized in bios? Did you actually try to install any OS on it? I didnt for several hours because i also thought that my drive isnt working :D  Just go ahead and try installing OS
October 22, 2008 7:24:21 PM

i did set the order,checked the power and tried all sata ports i think ill just get newegg to replace it or refund me
October 22, 2008 7:36:39 PM

So the BIOS does not list a hard drive attached in the Setup mode? I'm trying to figure out if your jsut getting the standard "no boot drive" because you haven't installed the OS yet... have you tried installing the OS?

October 22, 2008 8:03:47 PM

evongugg's initial response is right on. First thing I'd check is to make sure the Boot Priority is set properly. Most motherboards default to Floppy, then IDE Hard Drive, then CD-ROM.

You need to make sure you have it set to read SATA hard drives before IDE hard drives. Otherwise it won't even look at SATA. On my motherboard, there is a Boot Device Priority where you set floppy, harddrive, cd-rom, etc). Then there is a separate section for setting boot priority for hard drives (this is usual a factor if you have multiple hard drives).

Also, make sure the SATA hard drive option is turned on in the BIOS. Sometimes you can actually disable SATA support.

kamel5547 also has a very good point. If you have not installed an Operating System on your hard drive yet, the system isn't going to start up. You need to get yourself a Windows XP or Windows Vista CD and put it in the CD-ROM drive and then start up the computer. Install the OS, drivers, etc...
October 22, 2008 8:42:52 PM

ok so boot should be cdrom,ide,then floppy......i have vista cd but i get a hard disk not found error then it just goes into bios after
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 9:32:47 PM

OK, is that the message youre getting?

Marvell (some number) Adapter BIOS ver. (some number)
Initializing....
No hard disk found!

If so than read this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/251476-12-asus-delu...

it confirms my theory(well sort of) and shows that this a message saying that no PATA drive is connected. Plus i dont understand howcome youre being taken to the bios when booting apparently without hdd. I guess it should just hang there after the POST with no boot drive message??Mine only takes me to bios automatically in case of failed overclocking. Still the bottom line and first question that need to be answered: is the drive recogenized in BIOS?
October 22, 2008 9:39:57 PM

no im not getting that message just says no hard disk found.....and yes i tried it a lil before and it was recognized in bios but then after i saved changes and it rebooted i got the same message
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 9:41:37 PM

ohthebaby said:
i was trying to finish my build yesterday when i kept getting a hard drive not found while booting my computer. i have the asus p5q pro and i was using a seagate 250 gb sata drive. ive read up on switching the sats cable to make sure its not bad,made sure all the cables were in correctly,im a computer noob:p  so im basically lost right now....any idea why it wont recognize the hd maybe the hd itself is bad????

Read what the last guy said and someone should beat you if you return the board (returns without reason drive prices up).
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 9:43:05 PM

ohthebaby said:
no im not getting that message just says no hard disk found.....and yes i tried it a lil before and it was recognized in bios but then after i saved changes and it rebooted i got the same message

What else does the screen say when it says "No Hard Disk Found"?
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 9:47:41 PM

OK, is that the message youre getting?

Marvell (some number) Adapter BIOS ver. (some number)
Initializing....
No hard disk found!

If so than read this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/foru [...] luxe-issue

it confirms my theory(well sort of) and shows that this a message saying that no PATA drive is connected. Plus i dont understand howcome youre being taken to the bios when booting apparently without hdd. I guess it should just hang there after the POST with no boot drive message??Mine only takes me to bios automatically in case of failed overclocking. Still the bottom line and first question that need to be answered: is the drive recogenized in BIOS? When you set the Boot Sequence, on the choice list do you see only HDD or do you get YOUR drives details?
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 9:49:16 PM

Damn, I cant edit a message, how lame is that? :D 
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 10:25:48 PM

It is possible that you need to format your HDD first.
Connect the drive to another PC and use windows to format.
If windows cant see the HDD on another PC you might have to use something like Acronis Disk Manager to Create Partition and format to NTFS
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 11:00:32 PM

knotknut said:
It is possible that you need to format your HDD first.
Connect the drive to another PC and use windows to format.
If windows cant see the HDD on another PC you might have to use something like Acronis Disk Manager to Create Partition and format to NTFS

"No Drive Detected" has nothing to do with how the drive is formated, it's about whether or not it's detected.
October 22, 2008 11:14:43 PM

On my p5q it always gives a no drive detected when a hard drive is not connected to the first sata port. But if i do that it doesnt detect my 1 tb drive.
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 11:17:44 PM

Hold on.....I just went through this with in the last two weeks. The drive in question had been a PC that crashed while doing a disk clone. It would show up in Bios but not in windows. I plug the drive in eSata, Sata or USB nothing in My Computer indicating there was another drive installed. After using Acronis DM created a new partition and did a NTSF format all normal.
Sounds alot like what the OP has.
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 11:30:16 PM

knotknut said:
Hold on.....I just went through this with in the last two weeks. The drive in question had been a PC that crashed while doing a disk clone. It would show up in Bios but not in windows. I plug the drive in eSata, Sata or USB nothing in My Computer indicating there was another drive installed. After using Acronis DM created a new partition and did a NTSF format all normal.
Sounds alot like what the OP has.

Actually it sounds nothing like what the OP SAID he has. He said he gets a screen when starting his computer that says "No Hard Drive Detected". That has nothing to do with Windows.

It could be his 3rd party RAID controller not decting a drive because none is attached, but I'm trying to pry more information out of him about "what" black screen with text on it is giving him that message.
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2008 11:59:12 PM

Can the OP see the drive if he/she connects it to another PC?
August 8, 2009 8:51:35 AM

I built two computers with the P5Q mobo. Love the board; but both are running Vista 64 and have express gate. They both have Hitachi 1 Terabyte hds and both boot fine; but both say when they boot; hd not detected and then proceed to boot anyway! They do have the version numbers and Marvel something or another when doing this. The hds are installed in the number 1 SATA ports. It only bothers me for 2 reasons! One is that i'm a perfectionist! And the other is that if i was to either sell these or build some more like these to sell; i'm scared i would have a problem with a would be customer! But for the time being; i'm living with it as long as they boot and run! I had to locate the hds in BIOS on both boards and set the priorities and booting is okay; i just see the above mentioned everytime they boot! Maybe you could try that. See if you can locate the hd in the BIOS settings and make all the settings?
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 10:12:54 AM

wantabe said:
I built two computers with the P5Q mobo. Love the board; but both are running Vista 64 and have express gate. They both have Hitachi 1 Terabyte hds and both boot fine; but both say when they boot; hd not detected and then proceed to boot anyway! They do have the version numbers and Marvel something or another when doing this. The hds are installed in the number 1 SATA ports. It only bothers me for 2 reasons! One is that i'm a perfectionist! And the other is that if i was to either sell these or build some more like these to sell; i'm scared i would have a problem with a would be customer! But for the time being; i'm living with it as long as they boot and run! I had to locate the hds in BIOS on both boards and set the priorities and booting is okay; i just see the above mentioned everytime they boot! Maybe you could try that. See if you can locate the hd in the BIOS settings and make all the settings?

That message is coming from the Marvell BIOS for the add-in controller. The add-in controller supports eSATA (on the P5Q Deluxe), the two additional internal ports, and the Ultra ATA interface.

If you're not using it, DISABLE IT IN BIOS and watch the message go away.

Edit: Neither the P5Q nor P5Q Deluxe has the flash ROM for Expressgate. You should disable that in BIOS too.
August 9, 2009 4:51:23 AM

:whistle: 

Quote:
Crashman: Wrote-If you're not using it, DISABLE IT IN BIOS and watch the message go away.

Edit: Neither the P5Q nor P5Q Deluxe has the flash ROM for Expressgate. You should disable that in BIOS too.

I did the disabling of the marvel IDE first. It worked great as you said it would! I could still use Express Gate Okay with an exception on one computer because it does not recongnize a wireless internet card that Vista does on that one and the other is wired!

However i went ahead and disabled it on both computers because it really was not being used anyway!

Thanks for your information!!! I love it when a plan comes together!

Why do i need the flash Rom for Express Gate? I'm not really sure what it is?

Not to veer too much from this subject: but i have read some comments about people who cannot get Express Gate to work; but it says you must install the main OS first and then run the .exe file to install it. I hope that helps someone who wants it!
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2009 4:59:28 AM

wantabe said:
:whistle: 

Quote:
Crashman: Wrote-If you're not using it, DISABLE IT IN BIOS and watch the message go away.

I did the disabling of the marvel IDE first. It worked great as you said it would! I could still use Express Gate Okay with an exception on one computer because it does not recongnize a wireless internet card that Vista does on that one and the other is wired!

However i went ahead and disabled it on both computers because it really was not being used anyway!

Thanks for your information!!! I love it when a plan comes together!

Why do i need the flash Rom for Express Gate? I'm not really sure what it is?

Not to veer too much from this subject: but i have read some comments about people who cannot get Express Gate to work; but it says you must install the main OS first and then run the .exe file to install it. I hope that helps someone who wants it!

I don't know what kind of crazy crap Asus is pulling, but it's original Expressgate function is an ONBOARD FLASH DRIVE that has an OS pre-installed, and the file you download is nothing more than an OS upgrade for the onboard flash drive. I have the P5Q Deluxe here and it doesn't have the flash drive (ROM) so you can't just "plug it in and go on the internet". If they're adding some OTHER method to instal it on your own flash drive (or on a special HDD partition), that kind of defeats the purpose.
August 11, 2009 7:32:02 AM

Quote:
I don't know what kind of crazy crap Asus is pulling, but it's original Expressgate function is an ONBOARD FLASH DRIVE that has an OS pre-installed, and the file you download is nothing more than an OS upgrade for the onboard flash drive. I have the P5Q Deluxe here and it doesn't have the flash drive (ROM) so you can't just "plug it in and go on the internet". If they're adding some OTHER method to instal it on your own flash drive (or on a special HDD partition), that kind of defeats the purpose.

:non: 

I have read several things about Expressgate! One is that it is embeded in a chip; that of course would be the onboard flashdrive you must be referring to! I really do not believe that this is the case with my mobos as i did not have it on either computer until i ran the .exe file from the mobo drivers disk!

It does sound very suspicious to me! I think they must be feeding us crap! And maybe after its installed from the disk considering that the instructions say that you must first have an os installed; I guess that is so you can run the .exe file that sends it to the chip! My guess anyways?
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2009 7:44:25 AM

wantabe said:
Quote:

I have read several things about Expressgate! One is that it is embeded in a chip; that of course would be the onboard flashdrive you must be referring to! I really do not believe that this is the case with my mobos as i did not have it on either computer until i ran the .exe file from the mobo drivers disk!

It does sound very suspicious to me! I think they must be feeding us crap! And maybe after its installed from the disk considering that the instructions say that you must first have an os installed; I guess that is so you can run the .exe file that sends it to the chip! My guess anyways?

It sounds to me like they're having you instal it to your hard drive.

Like I said, these boards do not have ExpressGate onboard. They have an ExpressGate switch, but no flash ROM to hold that OS. Asus' most expensive boards do have that flash ROM.
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2009 7:47:06 AM

wantabe said:
Quote:

Here's an expressgate module, which you won't find on your motherboard:

August 12, 2009 4:11:06 AM

Crashman, Your'e right!!! It's not there! I'm wondering how it is in the BIOS to disable it though; if it doesn't install from the mobo disc drivers to perhaps a combo of both the hd and an onboard chip? Is it possible to only have it in the hard drive and have BIOS control over it? It seems it would be in add/remove programs and not have a disable/enable option in the BIOS screen?

What do you think? Thanx!!!
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2009 4:52:24 AM

wantabe said:
Crashman, Your'e right!!! It's not there! I'm wondering how it is in the BIOS to disable it though; if it doesn't install from the mobo disc drivers to perhaps a combo of both the hd and an onboard chip? Is it possible to only have it in the hard drive and have BIOS control over it? It seems it would be in add/remove programs and not have a disable/enable option in the BIOS screen?

What do you think? Thanx!!!

The first time I saw this it was on a cheaper Asus board that used the same PCB as the more expensive version, AND the same BIOS. The BIOS didn't know the module wasn't on the cheaper board.

ExpressGate modules are USB flash drives, so having the option to enable or disable those ports doesn't actually mean those ports have the drive.
!