Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I dunno.... Does it matter? I think both drives are fast but the WD Caviar Blacks run with more heat and slightly higher power consumption to get their performance. That's why I'm inclined to choose the Seagate 7200.12 series over WD Caviar Black series.

The performance is probably neglible unless you have one of each and are running benchmark tests on them. HDs are fickle things, it seems like. They can last a long time while others die relatively quickly. I think backing up stuff is more important than 'which one?' except that means you need to have more SATA ports and more money. ;)

However, after saying all that, I do think if you considering hard drives, the ones to consider is the Seagate 7200.12 series, the Hitachi 7K1000.B and the WD Caviar Black series. If I could find a Hitachi 7K1000.C model drive, I'd say choose that one.

The Seagate is a bit faster for sequentials, and the WD is a bit faster in randoms. They're pretty close though.

I'd get the seagate personally - it uses fewer platters, and will therefore run cooler and quieter while using less power. Either would work great though.