Sign in with
Your question

Will my CPU bottleneck my GPU?

Last response: in CPUs
September 22, 2008 8:51:54 PM

Hi,
I have decided to turn my HTPC into a gaming computer as I dont need it anymore. However, im not sure if the CPU, an Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz, is enough for gaming? My plan was to only buy a nice GPU and hope that I'll get by with the current CPU. My ambition is to be able to play current games like Bioshock and Crysis on at least medium settings. Will my CPU be a bottleneck?

Thanks in advance!

More about : cpu bottleneck gpu

September 22, 2008 9:39:35 PM

What gpu were you looking at? If it's 4850/9800gtx or newer, it probably will.
September 22, 2008 9:49:32 PM

Turn your HTPC into a firewall instead.
Related resources
September 22, 2008 10:13:50 PM

rollebolle said:
Hi,
I have decided to turn my HTPC into a gaming computer as I dont need it anymore. However, im not sure if the CPU, an Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz, is enough for gaming? My plan was to only buy a nice GPU and hope that I'll get by with the current CPU. My ambition is to be able to play current games like Bioshock and Crysis on at least medium settings. Will my CPU be a bottleneck?

Thanks in advance!

at that speed, it will be a bottleneck. but remember that the pentium dual core can overclock to 3Ghz effortlessly.
September 23, 2008 1:18:50 AM

i would try and overclock that processor.

it will overclock easily which will help immediately.

adding something like an ati 4850 would be great once your cpu is overclocked.

Hope this helps.
September 23, 2008 6:47:02 AM

Zorg, haha nice :) . I would but the case is to bulky, seems like waste of space.

Thanks for the replies, I have not though about a specific GPU yet. I will try overclocking it though.
!