Installing an extra XP Pro OS on the same HDD

Decibel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hi everyone, :hello:
I need to create an extra space on my HDD to install an extra copy of Xp...I need to upgrade SP2 to SP3 and i do not want to do it on my current XP OS...I do not like SP3 at all, but i need it to play the game Prototype because the game requires it.....I had very bad experience with SP3, and i am not happy that Activation the publishing company for Prototype, has not yet release a patch.. :( ..

So just to be safe i would rather create an extra space on my HDD to install a new copy of XP so if SP3 should fxxked up my system i can always reboot from scratch...I also cannot reboot my curent XP because i have some files that cannot be burned on DVDs or Cds because of their media format indeed i hate real player....Thanks guys for your help or advice i just need to know how to do that, i really appreciate your time, i just cannot wait to play this awsome game. :) ;) ....
Cheers
D

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
google "Partition Magic Alternative" to get some freeware application that will re-format your hard-drive without harming your current files. I prefer using Partition Magic... It never gone wrong since I've used it.

Do the partition (give the new drive about 20GB or less since you will only install the drivers and the game... nothing more) and then let is create it.

install the windows on the new drive... make sure you don't install it on the old windows xp sp2... if you did so all your files will go to heaven.

one more thing... if you find an alternative for partition magic... search for some reviews and make sure it will not damage your current OS or files by looking at customer reviews.

finally after you've played the game and you want ur 30GB back... format the drive using your wind xp sp2 boot and then edit the C:\boot.ini file to remove the sp3 OS

good luck

Decibel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hi there thanks very much my friend...
I really needed some closure...I will try that .....Also i would like to ask u I discover that XP has disc management utility to partition the HDD, do you know how to use it? I am not really sure myself and TBH i am always a bit nervous around "partitioning" my HDD.....
Thabks for yiu time and help hug4ely appreciated... :) :hello:

mattshwink1

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
The graphical Disk Management (Administrative Tools, or right-click My Computer and select Manage, then Disk Management). You can perform most basic disk management tasks from there. Microsoft also has a built-in command line utility called disk part (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/diskpart.mspx?mfr=true) however it is not a basic utility.

Before doing any partition operations make sure you have a full backup. Any partitioning error and you lose all your data.

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
If you use the MS Disk Management tool, you won't be able to create a new partition unless you have unallocated (free) space on that drive. This tool will not let you shrink your single partition in order to create a new one. You will need another utility (Partition Magic) in order to to shrink your SP2 partition to make room for the SP3 partition.

As mattshwink1 said, BACK UP!! Mistakes happen, and no one likes losing data.

Decibel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hi an, :hello:
Thanks for your help..I got to say i was going mental trying to find the unallocated space i even changed the colour....Now i know is because my HDD i s partitioned already, so it does not have one...I would use the partion magic utility i hope i do not loose my data....I appreciate your info i had no idea....Cheers mate ;) :) <THUMBS UP>

kaikow

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

Do NOT use Partition Magic.
See my response at Partitioning a Hard DRrive in XP

Decibel

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Thank you K....I ;) I know that partition the hard drive is the most tedious tricky thing to do, and i do not like it a bit, but you know i need the space....I just downloaded Acronis True Image, so Paragon is better you saying?I am going to get the espress free version righ now..Cheers K :hello:

kaikow

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

As far as partitioning software is concerned, for Window Vista, and earler, Acronis Disk Director 10 was reputed to be the best software. ADD 11 is due to be released this month for Win 7.

I have Paragon Partition Manager 10 Personal in Windows 2000.
I must point out that Paragon gave me a free license for reasons I'll not go into.
In Win 2000, using the latest version of Kaspersky AV available for Windows 2000, Paragon products perform poorly.
Paragon needs to document which modules I need to tell KAV to trust.

The Paragon support forum is far superior to the Acronis suppot forum.
Folkes from Paragon actuall respomd and try to give usful answers.
Acronis support is thought to be awful.