Get your GPUs ready by Sep 12th!...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
...good idea, since COD4 looks and plays pretty well on most hardware specs. My brother's 2.8P4 with 1GB RAM and an AGP 6800GT runs it well...although at 1024x768... I think that's the point though...to be able to PLAY it, not just look at screen shots every few seconds on any setting.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
they supposedly have refined it so that it plays on lower hardware whilst still looking roughly the same i believe.

yup that is true

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39412/Crysis-Warhead-Includes-Significant-Performance-Optimisations/p1/c2
"According to a PCGames.de interview excerpt, Crysis Warhead will run at 30 frames per second with high graphic detail options enabled on a €400 ($620) PC."

or from ign itself linking to that article.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/882/882940p1.html

good news for everyone :) now...only if they'd stop b!tchin bout "piracy" when the original crysis sold 1 mill+ copies

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
If they stopped complaining about piracy what else would they have to blame game sales on. 1 Million does sound pretty decent. Most people have slow pc's that can't run the game. I don't think they'll buy a copy to just look pretty in the corner of their desk. lol :)

The question isn't how many were sold. The question is how many were sold compared to how many were pirated (I don't have the stats, and I'm not defending either side, just stating this).

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Well it certainly PROMISES to be better optimized for lower end PCs but we will have to see....

I agree with the piracy bit... i can tell you that in my city i know close to 200 people who have bought the pirated version... so yeah, it IS damaging to Crytek.... they might easily have sold 1.5 to 2 times the number of copies they've sold.

But anyhow that price of Warhead is quite good for a high end PC game ainnit

That's assuming (false assumption IMO) that those who pirated it would pay for it if they didn't have a cracked version floating around. That's rarely the case, so while I agree their numbers would go up I suspect it's close to a 10-20% boost as opposed to a 50-100% boost in sales, even though 1-10 times as many peopl emay have pirated it versus bought it.

If you are cheap or can't afford games, you simply go to the next cheap / pirated game, you don't suddenly decide to pay the developers like the rest of us.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
@ TGGA ... trust me, those 200 guys (all in my univ) can very well afford to pay for the orig price of that game...but they didn't bother for obvious reasons....

and anyhow EVEN 10 to 20% is still a good increase....

I agree, I just don't agree with the often over-inflated amounts people think would be bought otherwise.
You're definitely far from the "Every pirated copy is a lost sale" view of the RIAA, but even your numbers just seem high to me, because even your niversity pals, like some of my pals, while they have the money they don't have the desire to spend it on games, and would move to a cracked copy of COD4, or UT3, or Quake Wars, or whatever. But they have no problem wasting money in other areas, that's why I call them cheap, because they can afford it, but just don't want to pay. I respect people who do so as a form of protest and have good reason to , but that's an extremely rare part of this equation.

Overall I'm for user rights as you may have guessed from my Sig, however I think the confrontational attitudes and penalizing your buyers/supporters to get at those who would never pay even $5 for the title is counterproductive.

To me, if Crytek made the game $9.99-19.99 they likely would've had exponentially more sales and more profit, and reduced much of the casual piracy. But as so many examples have shown for some people the usual pirate channels IS their source. They don't even go to the free distributor, they still just torrent it or whatever.

But they need to not focus on that crowd, you focus on those that you're missing because they want to buy your title, they just can't afford it. Making it impossible to crack but still $50-60 won't increase your sales or profits much, but cutting the price in half and selling 3 times as much, or selling 5 times as much a 1/3 the price would lead to more revenue. That's more of my point.

Like Aznguy said, people like Crytek and Infinity Ward can't enjoy their massive sales, because they're moaning and whining about the 'lost sales' to piracy, and personally I'd rather 1c on the dollar in cash for those over inflated numbers.

Anywhoo, just a personal pet peeve, especially with al the Copyright Change BS going on in Canada recently.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008

Actually... >.>

There's been a few games I 'acquired' (either from torrents or borrowing the game CDs) that I loved so much, I went out and bought the retail copy of it. UT2K4, Rise of Nations, and yes, Crysis are among those titles.

But that's different than what I said now isn't it.

I said if you're cheap or can't afford them. That you tested them before you bought, but still bought, doesn't make you that cheap, and if you bought them and not five-finger discounted them, then I assume you can afford them. You are a small minority among those already counted (for both sides), not even the 10-20% I was talking about, however might you not have bothered torrenting them had Crysis et al launched for $15-20 instead of $50-60? Those are the people I think the Devs and Dictributors need to worry about, not those that will never pay, which is still the majority of piraters (you are a minority, like myself that may test something before we buy, and then reward good work). For someone like you, you're another example of why the pirate number isn't guaranteed sales, because your ACTUAL purchase is counted, and yet your pirated use is ALSO counted as a 'lost sale' that they should've had and should sue your for. I'm assuming now that you bought them that you weren't about to buy it a second time? I did that for UT2K4, but that was because I wanted my friends to play online ASAFP and since they were cheap/poor students it was easier for me to just buy them copies as gifts.

Anywho the main point being focusing on the piracy alone is a lost cause, focusing on what contributes to it is what they should address.

Also, sorry for hijacking the thread further than it was (although it was the OP's fault ;) ). We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.... :hello:

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I'll be perfectly honest, I used to pirate games, hell I still do though for a different reason. I pirate games that don't have demos, and if I like them I buy them. People don't understand what at B1TCH a pirated game can be. Matching the patches with the cracks, sometimes not being able to patch it, fact that pirated games ALWAYS play worse than regular ones since it has to run off more of the harddrive than a regular game on a disk. The fact that ALL pirated games are missing parts, and can be a real pain. Not to mention how long it takes to download them on a computer that has a slow connection (ME!). The fact that it takes up 150% more HDD space. And all the defragmenting!!!! Just buy the damn game already, its worth it.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
^^ ... the people that do pirate don't the least bit mind all that patching and defragmenting...especially since they got the DVD for virtually free....

Anyhow i completely agree with TGGA regarding the fact that Crytek (or for that matter any other studio) would make money if they reduce their price to 15-20 bucks per copy instead of the 60. Maybe they should do the same for the movie tickets too.

Yeah that's what we do here at work, everyone pools together and we buy about 1,500-2,000 'admit one' tickets every 3 months for about $7 each directly from the theatre company. We see alot more movies that way, heck I see stuff I otherwise would've rented or waited for cable to see.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

That is a good point. I separate games into two categories....."I want it NOW, I will pay the launch price" and "I will wait till it drops below $30 to try it." I slipped on Crysis because I wanted to test out my new 4870 but in general I would purchase a lot more games each year if they were all under $30.

I half way like the idea of having the skeleton of the game be free and then having to pay for upgrades or extra levels as you go along. I like it because people can try it risk free. Every game would essentially start out as a demo. If you don't like it then no loss. If you do like the game then proceed and buy into it more. People will still find a way to hack into them but at least this will eliminate the "pirate to test it out" excuse.