Sign in with
Your question

9800GX2 SERIOIUS ISSUES... TERRIBLE CRYSIS FPS.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2008 9:56:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been having serious problems with my recently purchased 9800gx2. I have installed it and when it comes to playing Crysis i am getting terrible frame rates... im talking 15-20 fps on high settings on Relic level, i was getting better than that on my 8800 gtx... when i first installed the card it was giving me 35 fps when it kept on dropping down after a while, now it seems to be just terrible... its seems fine on all other games i have.

I have tried increasing GPU fan speed to 100%, still the same issue... and according to EVGA precision the GPU is running at highest 57oc when playing Crysis... not sure how true that is to be honest...

My Rig specs are

XPS 710

Core 2 Duo E6600

4 gig ram

Vista 32 bit

500GB Raid O

2 Optical Drives

nvidia 590 motherboard

750 psu

BFG 9800gx2

I dont know if this is a graphics card problem... cooling problem in my case... do i need to increase fan speed of my fans in the case....

this is the last straw... im tempted to send the card back for a refund and going back to my trusty 8800gtx... which i adore!! to be honest i dotn even know why i bothered upgrading... but part of me wants to sort this issue out... at the end of the day a solid running gtx2 is a great card... but clearly im not skilled enough to get it running... please HELP!!!
August 13, 2008 10:02:32 PM

frustrated yes... shouting and screaming... i did'nt think i came across like that... apologies if i did.
August 13, 2008 10:13:30 PM

it is a prebuilt Dell, PSU is the standard one inserted by Dell - I installed Vista 32 bit myself as an upgrade from xp, drivers i have installed various ones multiple times... Would you recommend increasing case fan speeds.. i cant seem to find software that will allow me to do that.
Related resources
August 13, 2008 10:33:21 PM

the only thing is i only really bought this card for improved Crysis performance, my 8800 gtx plays all my other games equally as good as the 9800gx2, im thinking just send the gx2 back get my £240 back and overclock my 8800gtx a little.
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 13, 2008 11:04:32 PM

We have frame rates, but no settings and resolution info. I doubt you are trying to play on very high at 2500x1600, but just in case...

You probably can't seeing as you have a dell, but can you try overclocking your CPU? I'm not sure a dual core 6600 is enough to push the GX2 fast enough.
August 13, 2008 11:20:57 PM

NXPS said:
PSU is the standard one inserted by Dell

This might be your problem right here.
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2008 11:29:37 PM

i had the same exact setup as u before and experienced the same issue.
wat i did was i returned the card for a new one and i reinstalled vista not sure which one helped but it corrected the problem. hope that helps.
August 14, 2008 2:14:55 PM

The 9800 GX2 is actually an SLI setup on one card. I probably don't have to tell you that in some games a dual GPU setup performs worse than a single one. If this would happen in your case, it might be you're only using a little bit more than 'half' of your card's graphic power, which puts you down to the level of a 8800 GT or something like that, which is less than an 8800 GTX.
It also could be your aging chipset (590i SLI), which might not be able to run a modern SLI card like the 9800 GX2, and the fact you still have an older PCIe 1.0 which might not allow enough bandwidth (although I doubt that)

Try updating your drivers like all the other folks say and don't forget to do a very clean uninstall of your previous drivers. This involves more than just clicking the 'uninstall button' in your graphic driver wizard. Google it and you'll find what you need.
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2008 2:42:43 PM

It doesn't look like a power issue to me...

I'm looking at 3 things:
CPU bottleneck (not very likely)
PCI 1.0 (could be limiting bandwith)
Bad card (self explanatory).
August 14, 2008 2:44:13 PM

Hmmm this is interesting, i will un install Crysis this evening and re install, also try this clean of drivers. I have used 175.19 and also the new 177.something (Physics driver) and still the same issues. Do you think an older driver may increase performance?
August 14, 2008 2:45:10 PM

also the card works perfectly with my other games... no drop of frame rate at all on COD4, GEARS and GRAW2. Crysis is the only one proving to be a pain.
August 14, 2008 3:04:37 PM

NXPS said:
Hmmm this is interesting, i will un install Crysis this evening and re install, also try this clean of drivers. I have used 175.19 and also the new 177.something (Physics driver) and still the same issues. Do you think an older driver may increase performance?

On an SLI card I would not use older drivers. Using the newest drivers looks better to me because if you go SLI, bad performance is mostly caused by drivers that are not optimalised yet. You can try some beta-drivers. You can find lots of them at '3d guru'.

Howerever I wonder why you don't see an improvement in your other games. A 9800 GX2 should be better than a 8800 GTX.
August 14, 2008 3:38:25 PM

im guessing there is no increased performance from other games becuasue you can not get them to run any better. I dont ever envisage having COD4 running any smoother than what i have currently with my 9800gx2 and 8800gtx.
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2008 3:42:46 PM

Nils said:
On an SLI card I would not use older drivers. Using the newest drivers looks better to me because if you go SLI, bad performance is mostly caused by drivers that are not optimalised yet. You can try some beta-drivers. You can find lots of them at '3d guru'.

Howerever I wonder why you don't see an improvement in your other games. A 9800 GX2 should be better than a 8800 GTX.

Crysis if fine for me with that card (177 PhysX drivers). Try turning of AA and see if that helps; if not, then there is a holdup somewhere in your system.
August 14, 2008 3:43:01 PM

It is possible you don't FEEL any improvement, but how are the benchmarks?
The GX2 should give better ones than the GTX in modern games like COD4. Try disabling the frame cap (if you're using one). Do you have an improved score in 3DMARK06?
August 14, 2008 4:29:11 PM

how would you disable the frame cap? Also i have'nt 3d marked it, the reason i know we have an issue here is that i managed to get 35-40 fps on a 1920 x 1240 resolution and then it started to drop after a short period of time... now it runs at 15-20 fps on high.. also i dont every use AA... switching that on would probably give me negative frame rates!!!! ahhhhh the frustration!!!!!
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2008 5:04:35 PM

Soemthing is busted if you get those framerates on that card with no AA. Could be a faulty card, or possibly the motherboard itself.
August 15, 2008 1:46:55 PM

NXPS said:
how would you disable the frame cap? Also i have'nt 3d marked it, the reason i know we have an issue here is that i managed to get 35-40 fps on a 1920 x 1240 resolution and then it started to drop after a short period of time... now it runs at 15-20 fps on high.. also i dont every use AA... switching that on would probably give me negative frame rates!!!! ahhhhh the frustration!!!!!

Sorry for the confusion. That advise was for your other games. The problem with crysis seems very strange to me. It could be a lot of things. Did the framerate go from 40fps to 20fps in a short time or did it go slowly over a longer period. Try this advise:

Do you still have your 8800 GTX? If you do you can try replacing the gx2 with it and see if you get the same performance again.
It could be your power supply that's about to die. Are you sure it gets sufficiënt cooling. I killed one in the past because I ignored a malfunctioning fan.
Is the additional PCIe power plug connected properly?
It can also be some drivers that got messed up by hdd errors, viruses, defragging,... Try reinstalling graphic drivers, chipset drivers and all the other ones that you think that are getting involved while gaming.
Are you using any Third-party tweaking software like Rivatuner? Maybe there's a conflict between the rivatuner settings (or other software) and the Nvidia control panel settings. Uninstall the third party software.

a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2008 1:50:50 PM

i just had the same problem again yesterday. my fps dropped in crysis randomly. all i did is purely uninstall the drivers and reinstall it. works fine now.
August 15, 2008 2:19:52 PM

NXPS said:

i should warn u that the 177.83(physic driver) actually gives negative results in some games like GRID....its fastrating....i had to go back to 175.19.....

if FPS is suddenly falling in the middle of gaming, it usually means overheating......
get a copy of Core temp & GPUz to check both ur cpu & gpu temps.when the fps falls, minimiz the game and check the temps. also check the CPU and GPU usage while gaming and try and find out if either of them is creating a bottleneck.
October 20, 2009 7:03:53 AM

Please 3dmark the card so we can see if it is a Crysis issue.
!